Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

cipher Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,298
cipher

(noun) A person of no influence.

Synonyms: nobody, nonentity

Usage: He was a cipher in the estimation of the public, and nobody attached any importance to what he thought or did.
xrayangiodoc
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 2:44:58 AM

Neurons: 13
As a definition, I think it would be more helpful to primarily define the word as a code or a way of encrypting a message. That would more logically help someone to understand the secondary meaning of a person as a puzzle or unknown entity.
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:29:21 AM

Neurons: 2,374,837
Word of the Day
cipher
Definition: (noun) A person of no influence.
Synonyms: nobody, nonentity
Usage: He was a cipher in the estimation of the public, and nobody attached any importance to what he thought or did.
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:21:11 AM

Neurons: 500,500
xrayangiodoc wrote:
As a definition, I think it would be more helpful to primarily define the word as a code or a way of encrypting a message. That would more logically help someone to understand the secondary meaning of a person as a puzzle or unknown entity.

And this is how it is done. You just need to follow the link to see it.

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 4:57:28 AM

Neurons: 68,645
Yes, this thread does not just select a word, and then give (all) its definition.

It selects a word, and gives the definition of that word, with that meaning in that usage.

So sometimes it comes up with some quite obscure definitions, and people ask why. No human involvement to give a helping hand.

Who wants the most common meaning anyway? You already know it! The less common ones are far more revealing. Whistle

taurine
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 8:42:00 AM

Neurons: 67,785
"Barnacle Boy, I heard terrible story that you have become a cipher searching after another villain, Dirty Bubble."
"Does it mean that you have lost all of your magical power to annihilate criminals?" Ended with a question Mermaid Man.
"Not at all. I have become involved in a null cipher case." Answered unmoved hero Barnacle Boy.
"But how is that possible that you still posses magical power to fight a crime and you have begun dealing with a null cipher?" Doubted Mermaid Man who never before caught Dirty Bubble.
"That is because I am using a form of encryption where the plaintext is mixed with a large amount of unimportant material. Take as an example: Not like mock exam after illness. Our awesome beer rarity. Using the pattern (1,2,3,1,2,3 [each letter in each word]) gives the message: Nice flower."

J'ai perdu mes amis en Afrique durant la dernière semaine de 2017
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:59:59 PM

Neurons: 92,454
the key to such a system

with my pleasure
Bonkers
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 5:40:39 PM

Neurons: 236
I am confused, I thought a cipher was used in secret codes, like 1=A 2=B... Are multiple definitions not shared on word of the day? Or have I missed something?
thar
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:26:21 PM

No, it is not a spelling and all its definitions.
It is one word and its specific meaning and usage.
Most often not the most common one for that 'word'.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:26:23 PM

Edit - double post but looks like you can't delete from daemon's web.

So a bonus post.
I prefer it with a y. More mysterious! Whistle

Good film, too. (Some reviewers didn't like it because the plot was complicated. What did they expect from a film called 'Cypher'? d'oh! )

Quote:
14th century. From Old French cyfre, cyffre (French chiffre), ultimately from Arabic صِفْر‏ (ṣifr, “zero, empty”), from صَفَرَ‏ (ṣafara, “to be empty”).

Loan word from Sanskrit sunya-s "empty."

Empty > zero> any number > arithmetic > number-letter code > secret > enigmatic, unknowable > not real, having no power. Whistle
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:57:50 PM

Neurons: 4,179,158
Irma Crespo
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 7:40:27 AM

Neurons: 101,250
Noun 1. cipher - a message written in a secret codecipher - a message written in a secret code
cypher
message - a communication (usually brief) that is written or spoken or signaled; "he sent a three-word message"
2. cipher - a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same numbercipher - a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
0, cypher, nought, zero
digit, figure - one of the elements that collectively form a system of numeration; "0 and 1 are digits"
3. cipher - a quantity of no importancecipher - a quantity of no importance; "it looked like nothing I had ever seen before"; "reduced to nil all the work we had done"; "we racked up a pathetic goose egg"; "it was all for naught"; "I didn't hear zilch about it"
goose egg, nada, naught, nil, nix, nothing, null, zero, zilch, zip, zippo, aught, cypher
relative quantity - a quantity relative to some purpose
nihil - (Latin) nil; nothing (as used by a sheriff after an unsuccessful effort to serve a writ); "nihil habet"
bugger all, Fanny Adams, fuck all, sweet Fanny Adams - little or nothing at all; "I asked for a raise and they gave me bugger-all"; "I know sweet Fanny Adams about surgery"
4. cipher - a person of no influence
nobody, nonentity, cypher
common man, common person, commoner - a person who holds no title
pip-squeak, small fry, squirt - someone who is small and insignificant
jackanapes, whippersnapper, lightweight - someone who is unimportant but cheeky and presumptuous
5. cipher - a secret method of writingcipher - a secret method of writing
cryptograph, secret code, cypher
code - a coding system used for transmitting messages requiring brevity or secrecy
Verb 1. cipher - convert ordinary language into code; "We should encode the message for security reasons"
cypher, encipher, encrypt, write in code, code, inscribe
encode - convert information into code; "encode pictures digitally"
2. cipher - make a mathematical calculation or computation
calculate, compute, cypher, figure, reckon, work out
math, mathematics, maths - a science (or group of related sciences) dealing with the logic of quantity and shape and arrangement
reason - think logically; "The children must learn to reason"
quantise, quantize - apply quantum theory to; restrict the number of possible values of (a quantity) or states of (a physical entity or system) so that certain variables can assume only certain discrete magnitudes that are integral multiples of a common factor; "Quantize gravity"
work out - be calculated; "The fees work out to less than $1,000"
extract - calculate the root of a number
process - perform mathematical and logical operations on (data) according to programmed instructions in order to obtain the required information; "The results of the elections were still being processed when he gave his acceptance speech"
prorate - divide or assess proportionally; "The rent was prorated for the rest of the month"
miscalculate, misestimate - calculate incorrectly; "I miscalculated the number of guests at the wedding"
recalculate - calculate anew; "The costs had to be recalculated"
average out, average - compute the average of
factor, factor in, factor out - resolve into factors; "a quantum computer can factor the number 15"
add together, add - make an addition by combining numbers; "Add 27 and 49, please!"
deduct, subtract, take off - make a subtraction; "subtract this amount from my paycheck"
multiply - combine by multiplication; "multiply 10 by 15"
fraction, divide - perform a division; "Can you divide 49 by seven?"
interpolate, extrapolate - estimate the value of
differentiate - calculate a derivative; take the derivative
integrate - calculate the integral of; calculate by integration
survey - plot a map of (land)
estimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge - judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
budget - make a budget
capitalise, capitalize - compute the present value of a business or an income
solve, resolve - find the solution; "solve an equation"; "solve for x"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.