Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 7:08:27 AM

Neurons: 10,724

the things about Great Britain

It may interest you.

What should be shall be-The fellowship of the ring-
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:06:12 AM

Neurons: 43,857
Thanks, Frosty. Lots of other things I'd like to know about GB too. Maybe a "Meanwhile in GB" thread here?

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 11:28:46 AM

Neurons: 42,695
Why not?

Fire away Hope - there are probably enough Brits or living-in-Brits on the forum to cover questions about most things. Besides which - I'm still learning: I'd find it interesting too. (And maybe have some questions of my own!)
Y111
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 1:19:50 PM

Neurons: 926
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:13:41 PM

Meh. I meant for Brits to post interesting stuff happening there locally. Since I've never been there, I wouldn't know what to ask. I would never have thought to ask about the items on Frosty's link.

Well, a couple of questions... Do the English, Irish, and Scottish still "fight" each other? i.e. dislike?

My brother just a couple of weeks ago said that when he was in Ireland last year and was buying a lovely Scottish wool sweater, the clerk assumed he was American but my brother said he is CDN. The clerk said, "Same thing". My brother nicely and matter-of-factly said, "Just like the English and Irish". Or was it Scottish? Anyhow, the clerk said nothing more. Can I assume they still all don't like each other?

Are woolen items still a big industry especially in Scotland? Do they really not wear underwear under kilts - you'd think the men would get cold in that climate. Maybe kilts are for dress up and only in summer? Is cannabis legal?

(I'm putting a CDN flag on my luggage for sure on our trip to MX in a couple of weeks. lol. BTW - looking seriously at Portugal for a month in winter 2019 with six other couples if we can find good accommodation on the Algarve. We almost booked but there were some bad reviews that a beautiful property had not been maintained.)

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
almo 1
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:03:41 PM

Neurons: 5,715
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 11:10:07 AM

Neurons: 5,654
Hope it's complicated, sometimes the relationship between the British and Irish is tense, sometimes it's friendly rivalry and sometimes we cooperate with each other.

Take the British and Irish Lions Rugby Union team, that sends a team selected from the best of the nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland to play nations such as New Zealand and Australia.

There is of course the weight of history, many Irish people have not forgotten the Potato famine and the horrible consequences of that time, and although the Canadians and Americans have been at war nothing on that scale has ever happened between them. The British and particularly the English are blamed for the many deaths that happened in Ireland and although in part it's true I think it was more a class thing than an English/Irish issue the poor people of the Britsh isles suffered at the hand of the rich in other famines and in the Highland clearances.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 12:15:23 PM

Thanks, Sarrri.

Sounds a lot like the French and English in Canada even today. Tense, friendly rivalry, and cooperation.

Schlook Inside
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 12:53:58 AM

Neurons: 1,192,609
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GH4FF5o7VM&feature=share

"Be kind everyone is fighting a hard battle"
thar
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 3:27:23 AM

Neurons: 67,624
There is a part of Great Britain that is forever Viking.

Fir example,there is an area in the far north of Scotland that is called 'Sutherland"' - because to the Norse it was the South Land.

The last week in January is the festival of Up Helly Aa in the Shetlands.
One of many fire festivals in the islands at this time.

The motto on the Shetland coat of arms is "Með lögum skal land byggja."
This Old Norse phrase is taken from the Danish 1241 Basic Law, Code of Jutland, and is also mentioned in Njáls saga, and means "By law shall land be built".

Up Helly Aa isn't ancient - it is a fairly modern, nineteenth century festival. But it does express the local wish to reconnect with their Norse heritage.
And have some fun!

It is cold, dark, wet and windy in the North Atlantic in January.
So burn a longboat and party all night! Applause Applause

Quick explanation of Up Helly Aa

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-42860070

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, February 5, 2018 5:44:40 AM

Neurons: 161,952
Well - I suppose there are different views.

Generally, I would say there is mostly a fairly friendly rivalry in sport.
It is "traditional" for Scots to support first, Scotland, and second, any team playing against England.

I think that mostly now, any Scottish antagonism is aimed at "the London government" as opposed to "the English".
When you consider that, in reality, there is much more difference in accent and attitude between "the south" and "the north" than between Scotland and "the north".
Historically the borders have fluctuated.
At odd times in the last thousand years or so, Manchester was in the kingdom of Strathclyde (Glasgow as capital) and was considered part of "the Scot's land" and Edinburgh was in the kingdom of Northumbria, which was mainly Norse and Anglic.

The really bitter complaints tend to be, as Romany says, more class-based.
It is a strange anomaly that the whole of Scotland has NO Conservative members of Parliament, yet the government ruling Scotland is basically Conservative (the "Unionist" part of the coalition is basically Right wing too).

Scottish wool? You'll see these all over the UK (this one is in Salisbury - as English as you can get):

A kilt is incredibly warm - possibly a bit chilly on the knees if it's windy.
You have to remember that it's not like a skirt, there is five yards of woven woolen cloth in a 'light' kilt and eight yards in a dress kilt. The way it's pleated, there are always three or five thicknesses of cloth in any point.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!