The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The sound of the letter 'X' followed by a vowel letter, a consonant letter(Pronunciation) Options
Audiendus
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 7:49:56 PM

Neurons: 802,583
I pronounce "exaggerate" (and "example", "exam" and "exact") somewhere between igz- and ikz-. My initial vowel sound is definitely a short 'i', and my first consonant sound is very lightly voiced, if at all.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:04:42 PM

Neurons: 9,648
Fyfardens wrote:
In some dialects it may become a diphthong, with a glide towards [ɘ] or [ɪ[/color]].

Have you looked at those links below?
Online Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English prounced the sound of the beginning of "exaggerate" as "/ɪ/" ex‧ag‧ge‧rate /ɪɡˈzædʒəreɪt/
Also, the sound of the beginning of "example" as "/ɪ/" /ɪɡˈzɑːmpəl $ ɪɡˈzæm-/. I.e. the sound of the beginning of " "exaggerate" , "example" is /ɪ/" , which is as the sound of the vowel in 'bid' /bɪd/ , and 'sit'/sɪt/

But, with that huge inconsistency, almost all learners will be pronouncing wrongly the words. What about learning English for learners living in a country like "Yemen", which has been targeted directly by the Saudi Arabia, Iran, and UAE, and subtly by other subtle advanced countries, such as the US, Russia, Turkey while all the world keep silent.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Fyfardens
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:21:14 PM

Neurons: 3,396
A cooperator wrote:

Yes. What about them?

Quote:
What about learning English for learners living in a country like "Yemen", which has been targeted directly by ...

I have great sympathy for the many people suffering from the effects of war. Those interested in learning still have access to lots of resources on the internet.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:22:27 PM

Audiendus wrote:
I pronounce "exaggerate" (and "example", "exam" and "exact") somewhere between igz- and ikz-. My initial vowel sound is definitely a short 'i', and my first consonant sound is very lightly voiced, if at all.

Which way and dictionary do you suggest for me to study the pronunciation of words I need? I am NOT asking about an advice as if I was going to be majoring in Phonetics in English. Even although I am fairly sure that I understand the phonetic transcription of a word, I am not completely sure that I pronounce it phonetically correctly. Do you suggest speaking to any sound-recognizing apps via MIC, and then give me a feedback of my pronunciation as to a native speaker.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:31:40 PM

Fyfardens wrote:
A cooperator wrote:

Yes. What about them?

In which the sound of the beginning of "exaggerate" is pronounced as "/ɪ/" ex‧ag‧ge‧rate /ɪɡˈzædʒəreɪt/, and the sound of the beginning of "example" is pronounced as "/ɪ/" /ɪɡˈzɑːmpəl $ ɪɡˈzæm-/. Where "/ɪ/" is the sound of the vowel 'i' in 'bid' /bɪd/ , and 'sit'/sɪt/ . That is all.

A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2018 5:48:19 AM

Fyfardens wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
What about learning English for learners living in a country like "Yemen", which has been targeted directly by ...

I have great sympathy for the many people suffering from the effects of war. Those interested in learning still have access to lots of resources on the internet.

Do you not think there are consequences for wars, like desperate poverty, no electricity continue, people will be in bad moods to do in anything... Etc....
Or you only consider the situation by your eyes.
Imagine that the US, along with its allies, Saudi Arabia, UAE, and Russia, along with its ally, Iran, have been interfering in your own country's affairs and spreading conflicts between parties and denominations, you'd have been as calm as you're now???
Sympathy is a good feel, however, it isn't good that other advanced countries such as Korea, Japan, China, the UK, and Germany still stay to only have sympathy while those peoples have been bombed and blockaded in their own countries.I completely believe in the freedom of each country people should choose with whom they will be allied is right.
I, think, it is shame that advanced countries couldn't say to other arrogant advanced countries that it is time to stop your aggressive nonsense against underdeveloped countries. If they don't do so, then why the hell are they advanced countries?

Fyfardens
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:05:33 AM

Neurons: 3,396
Thhs is the 'English Grammar forum. It is not the place to discuss other things.
palapaguy
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2018 10:43:21 AM

Neurons: 8,107
Fyfardens wrote:
Thhs is the 'English Grammar forum. It is not the place to discuss other things.

Thank you! Applause

This thread has dragged on long enough.