The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

God bless the Queen! Options
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 2:20:58 PM

Neurons: 26,040
I read parts of the Queen’s annual Christmas Greeting. What a wonderful lady. Talk about a woman with grace, elegance, intelligence and beauty. A woman loyal and strong. She spoke about her speech 60 years ago on the new technology television and now people will see it on laptops and phone’s. She has weathered many hard things as she mentioned the terror attacks. God bless Great Britain. I pray this new year bring you peace. I admit I am a bit of an Anglophile. I got to visit in 1986 with my sister. She took many trips to England and always took a family member or two. It was wonderful. I got to see two plays in London. The next fortnight we spent trekking around Wales looking for Merlin’s crystal cave and looking at castles. Her last trip she and her husband took my two college age sons. She said that was the best one. I would like to go back to do some ancestry research and read around in old records and wander old churchyards. So, long live the Queen. Long live Great Britain. And, thank you Dianne! 🎄
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 3:55:36 PM

Neurons: 432,450
philips daughter wrote:
I read parts of the Queen’s annual Christmas Greeting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-42480186/the-queen-s-christmas-message

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 5:56:52 AM

Neurons: 41,451

PD - it's nice to know you enjoy our Royal Family and their doings. But you know we English get uncomfortable with praise and compliments, so very few of us would ever say so on a public forum!

However, what I wanted to say was something I find very endearing. In spite of anti-monarchist sentiment, of those to whom the Queens Speech is part of their Xmas traditions...many stand up when it's on!

I love the idea that all over England (I shouldn't imagine the Scots etc. standing!) people with daft Xmas cracker hats, and hideous Xmas jumpers are all solemnly standing to silent attention with charged glasses amongst the wreckage of the Xmas dinner, as if the Queen were actually present!
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:18:57 AM

Neurons: 5,209

Hi, RM(Romany) -

Why do you persist in using NK, or VK, or PD, or SM?

It's easy to type or copy & paste e.g. Romany.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm1016111_It-s-an-ill-wind-that-brings-nobody-good.aspx#1016111

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:18:08 AM

Neurons: 42,815
Hi Ro and PD.

We recorded the Queen's lovely message to make sure we didn't miss it but I never would have thought to stand while watching it. They put it on here on TV at noon. It was a very nice presentation with the choir and visuals. She was always a beautiful woman inside and out and she has aged gracefully!

The Queen of England is the person I respect most in this world! Her sense of duty, her loyalty, her being down-to-earth, her work ethics, her love of family, her intelligence, her decorum, and her perspicacity in all matters are values and traits to be admired. And I probably missed some great characterisitcs that belong on this list. I always remember seeing her driving a jeep during the war.

I especially liked the part where she referred to The Commonwealth of Nations as a family. That is a good answer to those Canadians who want to become independent. It is nice to be part of a family hoping the other members will be your friend - maybe even have your back when really necessary, especially when your cousin neighbour becomes no longer a friendly country.

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Харбин Хэйлунцзян 1
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:11:18 AM

Neurons: 432,450
Hope123 wrote:
It was a very nice presentation with the choir and visuals.

And that's a very special choir - Commonwealth Orchestra and Choir:

http://www.commonwealth-music.net/

Hope123 wrote:
especially when your cousin neighbour becomes no longer a friendly country.

You're exaggerating Hope! They will never leave you alone in the face of the threat from across the Ocean. :)

აბა ყვავებს ვინ დაიჭერს, კარგო? გალიაში ბულბულები ზიან.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:37:29 AM

Xap, I'm not exaggerating at all. That was always the expectation that they would step in - but not anymore, even when they may be the ones who trigger the attack and the retaliation falls short.

First of all, I was thinking more of the recent trade and border bullying - 300% tariffs by Boeing vs Bombardier when they had exited the same market a decade ago so they were not damaged in any way. Softwood tariffs and the huge loss of CDN jobs because of CDN govt subsidies - a practice the US does too. Etc. There have always been and always will be trade disputes, but these are unprecedented and nasty. Trading should benefit all parties, not just the biggest bully.

But even if we are talking military defence, there was just something in the news a month or so ago where a general said they are not required to defend us and would not necessarily do so. I have to go look up his exact words. They would probably protect us if it were to their advantage.

Edited - Yeah, here's the link from September - the American military have been directed to not defend Canada from a ballistic missile attack.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/14/policy-says-us-will-not-defend-canada-from-ballistic-missile-attack-general.html

And we could end up in the middle of a confrontation between The US and NK because of two dheads playing chicken.

Some friend.

Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace. Albert Schweitzer
Schlook Inside
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 10:21:35 PM

Neurons: 1,086,258
A yes the British Royals,a burdon on the Canadian tax payers,what do they for us is diddly squat

Edward VIII

Look at that the tradition continues

"Be kind everyone is fighting a hard battle"
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 06, 2018 11:35:23 PM

Schlooky, we pay far less than the Americans for their White House and all the trappings. A cup of Timmies each a year. That is if we still buy Tim Hortons after what they are doing to their employees since they are no longer a Canadian company. I'm very disappointed in them ruining our perception of our no longer CDN icon. Even Hudson Bay, a company older than Canada itself, is gone too. So to me, being a member of the Commonwealth family gives us some semblance of stability as we are slowly taken over by international corporations.

I found this discussion on the link about finances but it also explains that it would not be just removing the Queen as head of state - there are many many changes that would have to be made as we are set up as a constitutional monarchy in everything. Even have to replace all the highway signs. Probably cost us more in the long run. Our leaders are always very cautious about opening the Constitution and for good reason.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insight/this-is-how-much-the-queen-costs-canada-202915713.html

As for Prince Harry, he has grown up and gotten some counselling about his wild days and rebellions such as the swastika. It can really damage a child to lose their mother at a young age and he wasn't even allowed to grieve. He has gone public about his struggles and has been helping to bring awareness in the mental illness field. He had two terms in Afghanistan until some idiot outed him and he had to quit because it became too dangerous for him and his mates. He has become a fine young man doing his charitable work and the Invictus Games for the disabled held in Toronto recently were his baby. I wish him and his fiancee the best.

And yes, Edward was a Nazi sympathizer - they shipped him off to the States to be with Wallace Simpson. All families have their black sheep and skeletons.

Fyfardens
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 6:27:11 AM

Neurons: 3,396
Considering that she never went to school, Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Mountbatten-Windsor has done a pretty good job of being queen.

However, I find it unacceptable that any person should be a head of state, with vast wealth and theoretically almost no limit on her power,simply because she is the senior surviving descendant in the male line (of members of the Church of England) from a granddaughter of a king of England and Scotland who died in 1625.

I also find it unacceptable that this situation can never be legally changed without the consent of the sovereign.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 8:56:47 AM

Interesting article in the Toronto Star this morning from an American journalist. "Do We Need More Kings and Queens?".

It discusses the pros and cons of royalty around the world but ends up with a study showing that countries with royalty as a symbol, the king or queen as a figurehead, and parliament with the power, are more stable. This constitutional monarchy is what it is in Canada, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway and Spain . I don't know how it works in the rest of the Commonwealth countries. (Monarchies with absolute power and divine right of kings like Henry the Eighth are not what the study is about.)

"Far from being a dying system, the study said, “monarchies are surprisingly prevalent around the world.” They provide a “stability that often translates into economic gains”; they are better at protecting property rights and checking abuses of power by elected officials; and they have higher per-capita national incomes, the study said."

Apparently there are even a few Americans who would like to do away with the Presidency in favor of a monarchy, but that would be a very hard sell when the country was formed in rebellion against a king.

I shall go see if I can find a link to the article.

Edited -

Does World Need More Kings and Queens?

progpen
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2018 3:05:26 PM

Neurons: 219,586
Hope123 wrote:
Apparently there are even a few Americans who would like to do away with the Presidency in favor of a monarchy, but that would be a very hard sell when the country was formed in rebellion against a king.

This is only due to the limited understanding of what a monarchy actually is and is only compounded by the limited understanding of what an oligarchy or republic or democracy are.

And back to the O.P. I read the Queen's Christmas greeting as well. She is a strong and intelligent person and I've watched her over the past decades with respect and admiration as she weathered the many storms both internal (family) and external.

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
Schlook Inside
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 7:55:47 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Schlooky, we pay far less than the Americans for their White House and all the trappings. A cup of Timmies each a year. That is if we still buy Tim Hortons after what they are doing to their employees since they are no longer a Canadian company. I'm very disappointed in them ruining our perception of our no longer CDN icon. Even Hudson Bay, a company older than Canada itself, is gone too. So to me, being a member of the Commonwealth family gives us some semblance of stability as we are slowly taken over by international corporations.

I found this discussion on the link about finances but it also explains that it would not be just removing the Queen as head of state - there are many many changes that would have to be made as we are set up as a constitutional monarchy in everything. Even have to replace all the highway signs. Probably cost us more in the long run. Our leaders are always very cautious about opening the Constitution and for good reason.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insight/this-is-how-much-the-queen-costs-canada-202915713.html

As for Prince Harry, he has grown up and gotten some counselling about his wild days and rebellions such as the swastika. It can really damage a child to lose their mother at a young age and he wasn't even allowed to grieve. He has gone public about his struggles and has been helping to bring awareness in the mental illness field. He had two terms in Afghanistan until some idiot outed him and he had to quit because it became too dangerous for him and his mates. He has become a fine young man doing his charitable work and the Invictus Games for the disabled held in Toronto recently were his baby. I wish him and his fiancee the best.

And yes, Edward was a Nazi sympathizer - they shipped him off to the States to be with Wallace Simpson. All families have their black sheep and skeletons.

We could debate this until the cows come home Hope.Lets meet in a middle ground here,we both believe in the democratic process right ?! Why not a referendum on whether to keep the Royals or give them the boot.What do you say ? Fair enough!?

Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 9:48:11 PM

Schlooky, I have supported the Queen since I was a very little girl making scrapbooks of her coronation, so we'll never agree but I understand where your ideology comes from in our country.

Also, I'm not sure referendums are that democratic in this day and age of people voting on whims learned on Facebook or Instagram without the voters knowing the reality and ramifications of their votes.

Our country's huge debt was started by Trudeau Sr. with his metric and bilingualism, and I have no desire to open the constitution with every province wanting to add, delete, or make changes - and cost us billions.

Pierre Trudeau also brought home the constitution. Patriation was the political process that led to full Canadian sovereignty so that the British parliament no longer had the power to amend Canada's constitution. That authority was removed from the UK by the passing of the Canada Act, 1982 on March 29, 1982, by the Parliament of the UK, and signed by Queen Elizabeth II and Pierre Trudeau.

Canada has complete sovereignty as an independent country, and the Queen's role as monarch of Canada is fully separate from her role as the British monarch or the monarch of any of the other Commonwealth realms.

For a cup of coffee a year - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. " Eh? Apparently this emoji says "Eh". :)

Fyfardens
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 10:06:38 PM

Apart from ny objection to having a head of state who holds that position by right of birth (how can that happen in the twenty-first century?), I object strongly to the power that the institution of the monarchy gives to the prime minister in the British system. 'The Crown' as an institution is immensely well protected from scrutiny, and the Queen's first minister has far more freedom of action than for example, a president of the USA.

The American system may well be flawed, but the checks and balances built into the constitution do place some restrictions on the powers of the head of the executive branch.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 10:24:36 PM

Fyfardens,

I can't comment on the British system.

The CDN Prime Minister has a lot of power until enough govt members decide to bring down the government with a vote of non confidence if he is not doing his job. In comparison to the American system, I think that is an advantage.

Your incredulity about having a position by right of birth is muted somewhat by the realization that often but not always the rich American politicians who become leaders are rich because they inherited it as well. Edited - Also, Money talks an awful lot in the American system. Canada is not perfect but it seems to me we have less corruption and our leaders are held to higher standards. Our PM is in trouble right now with the ethics committee because he let a family friend pay for a helicopter ride from the boat to his island while Trudeau's family had a vacation with him and he could somehow be able to influence Trudeau in govt. Compare that to the ethics violations the current occupant of the WH is getting away with right now.

Checks and balances in the American system are being challenged every day right now and nothing is being done to stop the executive branch from attacking and influencing the judiciary. And apparently there are many accepted ways being discarded right now that were assumed to be written down but were really just customs.

progpen
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 10:40:06 PM

Hope is right. The US has its own royalty. They just don't wear crowns (in public).

Be kind but be fierce. You are needed now more than ever before. Take up the mantel of change. For this is your time.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2018 10:47:41 PM

Proggy, I like your "in public" addition. :)

Schlook Inside
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 5:28:53 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Schlooky, I have supported the Queen since I was a very little girl making scrapbooks of her coronation, so we'll never agree but I understand where your ideology comes from in our country.

Also, I'm not sure referendums are that democratic in this day and age of people voting on whims learned on Facebook or Instagram without the voters knowing the reality and ramifications of their votes.

Our country's huge debt was started by Trudeau Sr. with his metric and bilingualism, and I have no desire to open the constitution with every province wanting to add, delete, or make changes - and cost us billions.

Pierre Trudeau also brought home the constitution. Patriation was the political process that led to full Canadian sovereignty so that the British parliament no longer had the power to amend Canada's constitution. That authority was removed from the UK by the passing of the Canada Act, 1982 on March 29, 1982, by the Parliament of the UK, and signed by Queen Elizabeth II and Pierre Trudeau.

Canada has complete sovereignty as an independent country, and the Queen's role as monarch of Canada is fully separate from her role as the British monarch or the monarch of any of the other Commonwealth realms.

For a cup of coffee a year - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it. " Eh? Apparently this emoji says "Eh". :)

Every little girl dreams about being a princess Hope

I say off with there heads(joking),I really don't need to see a humongous picture of the Queen when I walk into a Canadian Embassy in a foreign country,she doesn't represent me or even my country but every time her nazi grandsons and their barbie doll wives or girlfriends visit my country(Canada) I'm part of these tax payers who forks out the bill for it which is in the millions of dollars each time.We got ten governor generals one for each province and one federal governor general,these are representatives of the queen,again we the canadian taxpayers pay for there salaries,millions of dollars again,what do these governor generals do ..they go around cutting ribbons at the opening of something or other and give some lame speeches.We give the Queen $60,000 a month deposited in her account...FOR WHAT ????? she does diddly squat for us.

Referendums do work,recently Scotland had one they opted to stay with the UK,Quebec had many in the past and they always opted to stay within Canada,many countries had referendums concerning "Gay Marriage" and all these countries voted yes for gay marriage and they legalized it.

I'm not sure why you brought Trudeau up into the mix,I personally think he probably was the best Prime Minister Canada ever had,his son Justin thats another story :D ,his father was for the poor and equal rights for women and to french canadians,Justin is for the upper middle class.There is nothing wrong with having 2 official languages,I speak 3 languages myself,Switzerland as 3 officials languages,nothing wrong with the metric system,the whole world goes by that.These people actually governed and govern the country,they're actually doing something whether you agree with it or not.

PS. cup of coffee you say,l'de rather give mine to a homeless person on a cold Canadian winter's day EH

Schlook Inside
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 5:40:02 PM

progpen wrote:
Hope is right. The US has its own royalty. They just don't wear crowns (in public).

Not the same Prog,In the US..you don't like your president and family,you protest,you make fun of them,your current president is the butt of everybody's joke.Whether you like them or not,they represent.
The British Royals are venerated like movie stars and rockstars by many Canadians.They have done nothing to deserve that,they just happen to be part of a Royal dynasty.

progpen
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:21:01 PM

Schlook Inside wrote:
progpen wrote:

Not the same Prog,In the US..you don't like your president and family,you protest,you make fun of them,your current president is the butt of everybody's joke. Whether you like them or not,they represent.

I wasn't talking about our President or any of our elected officials. Our royalty control our elected officials and are not elected or appointed.

And many or our elected officials do not "represent" precisely because of who controls them.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 11:30:33 PM

No human "deserves" anything. We are all "accidents of birth", whether born into poor families or rich families or royalty. All we can do is make the best of the hand we are dealt and not compare ourselves and what we have to others who have more.

Schlooky made me wonder just how the majority of Canadians feel about the Queen nowadays. I tried to get statistics province by province because I don't know how westerners feel and Quebec's numbers would skew the results too but there were no statistics for the regions, just Canada as a whole. 70% still supported her in May 2016 in this survey. On another link that I lost I read a discussion of what might happen if the Constitution were opened. Some Quebecers will always be separatists and that may be what they want. It says most Canadians don't even think about the Queen but I think as more and more immigrants come to Canada they will not want to have allegiance to her.

Schlooky, that's a general statement not meant to include you as I have no idea what you think.

They say we also could just appoint a Canadian king or queen and keep the constitutional monarchy rather than trying to open the constitution creating unforseen problems that could cost billions. I'll see if I can find that link tomorrow.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/7-in-10-canadians-still-support-ties-to-monarchy-nanos-survey-1.2902716

Edited - Proggy, do you mean the Mercers and the Kochs etc.?

Schlook Inside
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:12:30 PM

You're right about the allegiance thing,I've met a few young people in the last couple years that came to Canada with a 5 years working visa.And they would say I love it here and I thought I'de want to go through the process of immigration.The sooner they found out they had to pledge allegiance to the queen,they were like no way.These were people from different parts of Europe & Asia.Mind you these weren't refugees or folks in the dire straights trying to run away from something bad,that is another story.

Hope I will be a gentleman and leave you with the last words,And I take a bow to you Lady Hope123

Prog I don't know of this royalty you speak of.

Fyfardens
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:59:30 PM

The oath of allegiance. is another of my many objections to the monarchy

The people in the list below are some of those can cannot take up their position/job unless they swear allegiance to the monarch. This means that men and women who hold perfectly legal republican views cannot in all honesty become:

First Lord of the Treasury (currently held ex officio by the Prime Minister), Second Lord of the Treasury (currently held ex officio by the Chancellor of the Exchequer), Lord Chancellor, Secretaries of State,
President of the Board of Trade, Paymaster General, Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland (held ex officio by the First Minister of Scotland), Advocate General for Scotland, First Minister of Wales , members of both houses of parliament, the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly,judges and magistrates (in England and Wales), police officers in England and Wales, priests and deacons in the Church of England, all army and air force personnel, all enlisted personnel in the navy, and people becoming naturalised British citizens.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(United_Kingdom)#Office-holders

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:56:37 PM

You are sweet, Schlooky! ❤️

But then you are Canadian so that explains it. Whistle 🇨🇦

Fyfardens
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:24:03 AM

It's all that maple syrup that does it.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:31:00 AM

Neurons: 322,276
Did anyone know they have 23 kings in Benin (former Dahomey)?
They have no real power. Benin is nowadays a democratic republic.

Here are some photos of the Kings.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3233970/Exotic-life-kings-Benin-land-subjects-believe-royals-superpowers-invisible-night.html

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:34:33 AM

Neurons: 153,691
"The Crown" - to which a FEW people pledge allegiance - is a symbol representing the country.

It is the same as American Primary-school kids being forced to pledge allegiance to the flag - it doesn't mean they have to do everything a flag tells them to do all their lives, it's a symbolic gesture in support of the country.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:43:48 AM

Just so, Drago.

JJ's post and photos on the link reminded me of Hawaiian kings and queens and the beautiful history in the museums there. The first link tells how the Americans participated in the overthrow of the monarchy - for which they apopolgized in 1993.

https://www.hawaii-nation.org/soaimages.html

http://www.royalty.nu/America/Hawaii.html

Edited - it seems there are some Hawaiians who are Sovereignists even today. The overthrow happened because of the missionaries. I loved every page of Michener's "Hawaii" of historical fiction when it was first published. In fact I read every one of his books.

https://www.hawaii-nation.org/index.html

almo 1
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:51:43 AM

Fyfardens
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:21:52 AM

almo is living proof of why the forum could do with a moderator.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:25:03 PM

Schlook Inside wrote:
Prog I don't know of this royalty you speak of.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/11/us/politics/2016-presidential-election-super-pac-donors.html
Hope was right about our royalty. It is the Wilks family, the Mercer family, The Kochs of course, but then people you've never heard of like Toby Neugebauer and Kelcy Warren. A little over 100 people/families funded the majority of the last presidential election.

Schlook Inside
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 8:49:24 PM

Thanks for sharing Progpen ;) I've heard stuff like that before,sounds like conspiracy theories to me.Like the one that says the Rothchilds are the richest family in the world and they control everything on the planet.Or the Stone Masons,which most of the US presidents were part of starting with George Washington himself,they control everything on the planet for the last 500 years or so conspiracy theory.

Very nice Almo 1 :) Are the Royals in Japen still worshiped as gods/godesses ?

almo 1
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:06:56 PM

no. (this is my last comment on this thread:)
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 10:49:28 PM

Easily checked Schlooky and not conspiracy at all. Contrast with Canada's $1575.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?section=pol&document=index&dir=lim&lang=e

::::

https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topindivs.php

Neugebauer and Warren and others - http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/fec-donor-data/

Wilks Brothers - to make it worse, they made their money in fracking.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/25/politics/ted-cruz-wilks-brothers/index.html

Koch Brothers - Almost $900 Million dollars! https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/27/us/politics/kochs-plan-to-spend-900-million-on-2016-campaign.html

The Mercers - https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/no-one-knows-what-the-powerful-mercers-really-want/514529/