The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

wait another day Options
arshiaazadi
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:56:41 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/21/2017
Posts: 87
Neurons: 1,055
Hello all,
What does "the corn could wait another day" mean, please?

It was Spring and the corn could wait another day.
Fyfardens
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:09:06 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 12/16/2017
Posts: 333
Neurons: 4,637


Presumably a farmer had some work to do involving corn. However, it was spring, and the farmer would like to do other things. In his list of things to do, dealing with the corn was not a high priority. He decided to deal with it another day.

I speak British English (standard southern, slightly dated).
arshiaazadi
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 3:44:07 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/21/2017
Posts: 87
Neurons: 1,055
Fyfardens wrote:


Presumably a farmer had some work to do involving corn. However, it was spring, and the farmer would like to do other things. In his list of things to do, dealing with the corn was not a high priority. He decided to deal with it another day.

Thank you so much.
But "the corn could wait" is strange? wait is for people not objects
Is the use of "can" in sentence possible too?
Fyfardens
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:58:19 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 12/16/2017
Posts: 333
Neurons: 4,637
arshiaazadi wrote:
[
But "the corn could wait" is strange? wait is for people not objects
Is the use of "can" in sentence possible too?


It's not uncommon for us to say that things/situations can wait. I have some letters to write, but they (the letters)/that (the writing) can wait - I am going out to see my girlfriend.

We cannot use 'can' in your original sentence, which is about a past-time situation.


I speak British English (standard southern, slightly dated).
arshiaazadi
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:04:43 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/21/2017
Posts: 87
Neurons: 1,055
Fyfardens wrote:
arshiaazadi wrote:
[
But "the corn could wait" is strange? wait is for people not objects
Is the use of "can" in sentence possible too?


It's not uncommon for us to say that things/situations can wait. I have some letters to write, but they (the letters)/that (the writing) can wait - I am going out to see my girlfriend.

We cannot use 'can' in your original sentence, which is about a past-time situation.

Thank you so much for the helpful responses
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.