The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Questions Options
Maggie Q
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 4:51:10 AM

Neurons: 3,091
She did have two more semi-coherent thoughts as she leaned against the newel post and looked at his bulging eyes and the way he was biting his tongue—biting it so hard his teeth sunk into it.

He’s crazy. I have to call the police before he really hurts me.

Question 1: What's the meaning of 'semi-coherent thoughts'?

Question 2: In this case, what does 'semi-coherent thoughts' refer to?

Question 3: She did have two more semi-coherent thoughts == She did have [ two more ] semi-coherent thoughts? OR == She did have two [ more semi-coherent ] thoughts?

And he really might have managed to do that, but then her robe came open and she was naked underneath it. He could see the dark patch of hair over her breeding-farm, her goddam itchy breeding-farm that was all the fucking trouble, when you got right down to it those farms were all the fucking trouble in the world, and his head was throbbing, thudding, whamming, smashing, splitting.

Question 4: In this case, what's the meaning of 'breeding-farm'?

Question 5: What's the meaning of 'when you got right down to it'? What does 'it' refer to?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:20:09 AM

Neurons: 162,175
Hello Maggie Q.

I guess that 'she' is in a panic - seeing this crazy guy on the stairs - so she cannot think straight. Her thoughts are all confused.
But she does have two "semi-coherent" (fairly logical and clear) thoughts. The first was "He's crazy" and the second thought was "I have to call the police before he really hurts me."

Question 3: She did have two more semi-coherent thoughts == She did have [ two more ] semi-coherent thoughts? OR == She did have two [ more semi-coherent ] thoughts?
Grammatically, it could be either - it would depend on the context.
However, in this case, logically it can only mean "have [two more] semi-coherent thoughts".
"Semi" means "half" - something cannot be "more half" or "less half".

I'm sure you can understand this.
He is looking at a naked woman. Which part of her has a dark patch of hair and is connected with breeding?
"Breeding farm" is not a normal English phrase. It is one invented by this crazy guy.
(This whole paragraph is his thoughts and feelings.)

Question 5: What's the meaning of 'when you got right down to it'? What does 'it' refer to?
"It" doesn't refer to anything specific.
"When you get right down to it" is an idiomatic phrase meaning 'basically' or 'fundamentally'.
". . . when you got right down to it those farms were all the fucking trouble in the world." = Basically, sex causes all the trouble in the world.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
pjharvey
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:25:58 AM

Neurons: 52,033
Well, I don't know the story, but I can guess.
"Two more semi-coherent thoughts": she was evidently not wholly in her senses, or she couldn't reason very clearly, but she managed to have three (one before, two more now) thoughts that were almost coherent.
"Breeding farm": vagina.
"When you got right down to it": when you considered the question, when you asked yourself what all the trouble in the world actually consists in / comes from (meaning that sexual desire is the thing that creates all the trouble in the world).

Sorry Drag0n - cross-posted - but I see we agree :)
Maggie Q
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:53:37 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hello Maggie Q.

I guess that 'she' is in a panic - seeing this crazy guy on the stairs - so she cannot think straight. Her thoughts are all confused.
But she does have two "semi-coherent" (fairly logical and clear) thoughts. The first was "He's crazy" and the second thought was "I have to call the police before he really hurts me."

Grammatically, it could be either - it would depend on the context.
However, in this case, logically it can only mean "have [two more] semi-coherent thoughts".
"Semi" means "half" - something cannot be "more half" or "less half".

I'm sure you can understand this.
He is looking at a naked woman. Which part of her has a dark patch of hair and is connected with breeding?
"Breeding farm" is not a normal English phrase. It is one invented by this crazy guy.
(This whole paragraph is his thoughts and feelings.)

"It" doesn't refer to anything specific.
"When you get right down to it" is an idiomatic phrase meaning 'basically' or 'fundamentally'.
". . . when you got right down to it those farms were all the fucking trouble in the world." = Basically, sex causes all the trouble in the world.

thank you
Maggie Q
Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 12:53:53 AM

pjharvey wrote:
Well, I don't know the story, but I can guess.
"Two more semi-coherent thoughts": she was evidently not wholly in her senses, or she couldn't reason very clearly, but she managed to have three (one before, two more now) thoughts that were almost coherent.
"Breeding farm": vagina.
"When you got right down to it": when you considered the question, when you asked yourself what all the trouble in the world actually consists in / comes from (meaning that sexual desire is the thing that creates all the trouble in the world).

Sorry Drag0n - cross-posted - but I see we agree :)

thank you