A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:26:01 PM

Neurons: 10,237
Hi Everyone!
I read
Quote:

An example of a subordinate clause is “When the man broke into the house”
An example of an independent clause is “the dog barked at him”
While the independent clause could be used by itself as a complete sentence, the subordinate clause could not. For it to be correct, it would need to be paired with another clause: “When the man broke into the house, the dog barked at him.”

Thus, I think this below can be called either a sentence or a clause. (an independent clause), although not paired with another clause.
It was good of you to phone. => To phone was good of you.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:15:14 PM

Neurons: 2,918,930
"To phone was good of you" is a bit awkward. "It was good of you to phone" is more natural native English, even though it takes more words. "Phoning was good of you" also works.

One way I'd put it is:

All independent clauses can be sentences, but not all sentences can be independent clauses.

This sentence contains two independent clauses ("All independent clauses can be sentences" and "not all sentences can be independent clauses") but it is not an independent clause, itself, due to the conjunction "but."

Hope this helps!

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
A cooperator
Posted: Sunday, January 7, 2018 5:37:30 AM

Andrew Schultz wrote:
"To phone was good of you" is a bit awkward. "It was good of you to phone" is more natural native English, even though it takes more words. "Phoning was good of you" also works

Thanks a lot,
I have got the difference.
But, I think when the subject of a clause is an infinitive expression, this doesn't normally come at the beginning. We usually prefer to start with the "preparatory subject" (it), and put the infinitive expression later.
It was good of you to phone. (More natural than "To phone was good of you." (The subject is "to phone")

This is the first time I have come across a subject coming after its verb in English.Think Though this is normal and must be done in Arabic.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Fyfardens
Posted: Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:06:45 AM

Neurons: 4,717
A cooperator wrote:
I think when the subject of a clause is an expression, this doesn't normally come at the beginning.

If by 'expression' you mean 'infinitive', you are right, but the following sentence is normal and natural: Cycling in a city where there are lots of tram lines is not very pleasant..

I speak British English (standard southern, slightly dated).
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, January 8, 2018 10:07:04 AM

Neurons: 176,780
What Fyfardens says is true.

"Noun phrases" can be formed from verbs in several different ways - the basic ways are 'infinitive phrases' and 'gerund phrases'.

When used as the subject of a sentence, it can sometimes sound 'strange' to use the infinitive phrase, and the gerund phrase is used instead.

Cycling in a city where there are lots of tram lines is not very pleasant.
It is not very pleasant to cycle in a city where there are lots of tram lines.

It is not very pleasant cycling in a city where there are lots of tram lines.
To cycle in a city where there are lots of tram lines is not very pleasant.

The green ones sound natural, the other two sound a bit 'strange'

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
A cooperator
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:28:33 PM

Andrew Schultz wrote:
"To phone was good of you" is a bit awkward. "It was good of you to phone" is more natural native English, even though it takes more words. "Phoning was good of you" also works.

One way I'd put it is:

All independent clauses can be sentences, but not all sentences can be independent clauses.

This sentence contains two independent clauses ("All independent clauses can be sentences" and "not all sentences can be independent clauses") but it is not an independent clause, itself, due to the conjunction "but."

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot,
The boy returned, and he is gasping.
I can say it has two independent clauses:
The boy returned.
He is gasping.
The parsing of the compound sentence "The boy returned, and he is gasping."
"The boy" a noun phrase acting as the subject of main clause(first independent clause),....... "returned" intransitive past verb,....... "and" a conjunction,........ 'he' a pronoun acting the subject of the second independent clause,...... "is gasping" a verbal phrase.