The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Barbie gets a tattooed, pink-haired makeover. Options
almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:02:47 AM

Neurons: 7,024
Romany wrote:
OMG! They've used ME for a Barbie model???

OK, so my hair is a much deeper fluoro pink, and the tatt. on my neck MUCH more discreet...and, yeah, ok, I do have a nose ring, but this is the first time in my whole life anyone has ever been able to call me a Barbie girl!. Damn!

I tried to wear nose rings, but it didn't do good so I quit.

excaelis
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:33:07 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Aqua

Sanity is not statistical
Romany
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:15:28 AM

Neurons: 41,469
Almostfree -

I'm gonna take that as meaning YOU don't think I resemble a bull or a cow then?

I'm sorta sad though that you re-opened this thread: I mean I agree that everyone has the right to their opinions, but I was rather hurt that after i had said i had a couple of tats and that i did wear a nose ring, so many people thought it necessary to share all their thoughts about people with tattoos looking dirty, or defacing themselves, and stuff. And yeah, the bull and cow comments didn't do a whole lot for my self-esteem.

I even had a little cry at the time, I remember.

So I think i would have rather let this particular thread sleep!

(ps please excuse the typing. Broke my arm last night and not yet proficient at one-handed typing.)

/
Hope1
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:56:28 PM

Neurons: 3,352
Romany,

I do not care what other people do to THEIR bodies. If they like it and are not afraid of getting an infection when they have a tongue tattoo, that is up to them. (Since the tongue is one of the most sensitive areas of the body, you won't see me going through that pain.)
Other parts of the body do not have so much risk of infection.

My twelve year old wonderful granddaughter dyed part of her hair pink. She found it too much work to keep it up. lol

My only concern is the chemicals we put in and on our bodies. In perfume, in cosmetics, shampoos, soaps, deodorants, hair dye and bleach, body implants etc. My gastroenterologist once told me that anything you put on your skin is absorbed the same as if you ate it.

As for tattoos, I am surprised no one has mentioned any effects from putting foreign materials (inks and colors) into their bodies. There are less invasive temporary ones you can do and those you can change. Edit : I see health care costs were mentioned.

So no more crying, Romany. YOU know who YOU are. March to your own drummer! Besides, I am SURE nobody meant to make a comparison. It was a joke.

(And unless you had a terrific blow to your arm, get a bone density test. A broken arm is just what you need right now. Not.)

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts. Bernard M. Baruch 1870-1965
Christine
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:13:25 PM

Neurons: 15,842
Romany wrote:
Almostfree -

I'm sorta sad though that you re-opened this thread: I mean I agree that everyone has the right to their opinions, but I was rather hurt that after i had said i had a couple of tats and that i did wear a nose ring, so many people thought it necessary to share all their thoughts about people with tattoos looking dirty, or defacing themselves, and stuff. And yeah, the bull and cow comments didn't do a whole lot for my self-esteem.

(ps please excuse the typing. Broke my arm last night and not yet proficient at one-handed typing.)

sorry about your arm. I think you are a doctor, right? Be thankful for your brain because I noticed that you are more intelligent than me. :)

/

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

Romany
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 1:08:24 AM

Christne - good heavens no. Not a doctor - and as for intelligece...well no, not at all. I just have a peculiar brain which has always stored up useless bytes of informatuin, but seem to consider things like what day it is as completely un-noteworthy!

Hope - darlin' this is China! bone density tests? Even getting the x rays entailed me sqatting on the floor and trying to balance on my toes as there's no upright facilities at our local hospital. Let alone anyone who speaks English!
(can see this typing thing needs practice!)
Hope1
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 10:08:15 AM

Neurons: 3,352
Romany, Never thought of that.

When do you get back to facilities?

Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts. Bernard M. Baruch 1870-1965
excaelis
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 9:19:47 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Oh, Romany. I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. It's done wonders for your creative spelling project...( posted with love )

Sanity is not statistical
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:00:58 AM

Hey, Ex, . So you noticed, huh? Am thinking of adpting 'informatuin' permanently. Got a certain je ne sais quoi to it.
almostfreebird
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:09:07 PM

pedro wrote:
Note Barbie's inordinately long neck too.

That's it!

Christine
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:16:10 AM

Neurons: 15,842
That is sad.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:48:03 AM

almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 11:48:22 AM

I hope you are OK now.

almo 1
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2017 5:53:43 AM

Neurons: 5,226

almo 1
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 5:01:30 PM

test
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:40:58 PM

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:12:33 PM

When you revived this thread in 2012,I posted this (above):

Almostfree -

Same again, mate:Sheech, let it go, already!

(Tho I have to admit to a certain awed amusement: You've posted a picture of an old lady who you said made you think of me - now a face camouflaged in steel? The composite picture of me is getting more and more bizarreDancing )
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 12:57:30 PM

Hope1 wrote:
Romany,
I do not care what other people do to THEIR bodies.

How's she doing?

Parpar1836
Posted: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 2:16:23 PM

Neurons: 8,624
I can’t resist adding my loop to this thread. A rambling tale, it is, too.

When I was 11—this was in 1963—I wanted a Barbie. Barbies were still fairly new, having been launched in 1959. It took me while to find out about them. Mom and I spent summer and winter breaks in Manhattan, where my grandparents lived. We went regularly to S. Klein's on the Square (a popular department store on 14th Street, where one, with diligence, could find odd lots, designers' samples, irregulars, and good bargains). She looked for things to get for her mother while I browsed in the toy and children's-book departments. I wanted a Barbie with a blonde bubble-cut. They were selling for, I dunno, $4? $6? But Mom didn't want to buy one, and I had no money of my own.

Years later, a friend whom I had helped with English gave me a limited-edition (1995) Butterfly Princess Barbie; he knew I was passionate about butterflies and had never had my own Barbie. I still have that, of course.

And I finally bought a vintage-1963 Barbie with a blonde bubble cut, on eBay. Barbies from that time with the original accessories and in the original packaging are valuable commodities. (We're talking about adult collectors, of course.) The one I bought is in good condition, but had no clothing or accessories, and no shoes. The box was long gone. I figured I'd locate appropriate shoes—the doll's feet are designed for high heels—and make some clothes. I later bought a Barbie-like doll with red hair. I have a thing about redheads, who show up frequently in my paintings. Everyone on Mom's side of the family is a redhead, as was Mom (I didn't inherit her striking coloring), but I didn't have a chance to show the new doll to her. I hope to dress that one too.

I would imagine that there are serious collectors, and those who collect Barbie variants . . . and we all know about the political implications of those tiny waists, ethnic/racial diversity, depiction of various disabilities, etc., eh?

I'd love to see a Ken with punk-colored hair and tattoos.

No one would ever, by the longest stretch of imagination, confuse with a Barbie. As for being compared to one, that ain't cricket.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 5:09:23 PM

Neurons: 153,691
Parpar1836 wrote:
As for being compared to one, that ain't cricket.

Hi Parpar - great story.

Don't think AFB (Almostfreebird/Almostfreebyrd/Almo 1) is interested in cricket. Generally he/she seems to only enjoy insulting Romany (and occasionally the town she lives in) and entering non-sequitur comments into other people's topics.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 7:18:21 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

he/she

I described about myself here
- minimum information(naturally).