The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I shall be like that tree,—I shall die at the top. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 71,055
I shall be like that tree,—I shall die at the top.

Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)
capitán
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 1:07:57 AM

Neurons: 12,769
As the winter of our lives comes atop, we die as withering trees.
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 4:34:34 AM

Neurons: 2,308,884
Quotation of the Day

monamagda
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 10:57:16 AM

Neurons: 4,110,965

Swift had predicted his mental decay when he was about 50 and had remarked to the poet Edward Young when they were gazing at the withered crown of a tree: "I shall be like that tree, I shall die from the top." In 1731, he wrote Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift, his own obituary. It was published in 1739. Swift began showing pronounced signs of illness leading many of his detractors to claim he was insane. In the autumn of 1739 a great celebration was held in his honor. He had, however, begun to fail physically and later suffered a paralytic stroke, losing the ability to speak. In 1742 he was declared incapable of caring for himself, and guardians were appointed. He died in 1745.

He wrote his own epitaph, which was engraved and gilded in large letters on his orders and stands above the place of his burial: Here is laid the body of Jonathan Swift... where savage indignation can no longer tear his heart. Depart, wayfarer, and imitate if you can a man who to his utmost strenuously championed liberty

http://www.bookdrum.com/books/gullivers-travels/9780141439495/author-profile.html
Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 11:06:51 AM

Neurons: 161,322
Daemon wrote:

It is a matter of perception as to whether that tree shall be half dead or half alive...
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Friday, January 5, 2018 5:26:13 PM

Neurons: 189,137
monamagda wrote:

Swift had predicted his mental decay when he was about 50 and had remarked to the poet Edward Young when they were gazing at the withered crown of a tree: "I shall be like that tree, I shall die from the top." In 1731, he wrote Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift, his own obituary. It was published in 1739. Swift began showing pronounced signs of illness leading many of his detractors to claim he was insane. In the autumn of 1739 a great celebration was held in his honor. He had, however, begun to fail physically and later suffered a paralytic stroke, losing the ability to speak. In 1742 he was declared incapable of caring for himself, and guardians were appointed. He died in 1745.

He wrote his own epitaph, which was engraved and gilded in large letters on his orders and stands above the place of his burial: Here is laid the body of Jonathan Swift... where savage indignation can no longer tear his heart. Depart, wayfarer, and imitate if you can a man who to his utmost strenuously championed liberty

http://www.bookdrum.com/books/gullivers-travels/9780141439495/author-profile.html

So, it is believed that he would be referring to his own mental illness?
Because, in my mind's eye, I can't see myself picturing like dying in my mind in any future!
I'm pretty aware that anyone is exposed to such condition, but, as far as I can preserve myself by any means, I will fight to avoid these kind of fading. My opinion.