Best to live lightly, unthinkingly.

Sophocles (496 BC-406 BC)
zina antoaneta
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:01:00 AM

Neurons: 130,688
Daemon wrote:

Is there a context that someone is willing to research?
To live lightly? With grace?
Unthinkably? With no reflection?
What did Sophocles mean by this?
Bully_rus
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:00:53 AM

Neurons: 176,123
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Alzheimer-like paradise... Who knows?
coag
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 11:56:43 AM

Neurons: 5,528
"Don't worry too much. It's just the smart people that have to worry. The Lord will take care of the ignorant ones."
(Hair, 1979 (the very beginning of the video))
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 12:08:08 PM

Neurons: 457,762
Daemon wrote:

Says who !!?!
Verbatim
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 2:12:24 PM

Neurons: 242,792
Daemon wrote:

Oedipus Rex, who wanted to know, and searched too far; Jocasta said that, as his protecting wife,
who wanted him to live lightly, unthinkingly, safe from fear.
Some riddles are best left unsolved, some prophecies come true by meddling.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 2:57:47 PM

Neurons: 4,292,476
Context from : Oedipus Rex
Lines 970-980

Jocasta Uncovered

Oedipus: But they, / oracles as they stand- he’s taken them/ away with him, they’re dead as he is himself is, / and worthless

Jocasta: That I already told you before now.

Oedipus: You did, but I was misled by my fear.

Jocasta: Then lay no more of them to heart, not one

Oedipus: But surely I must fear my mother’s bed

Jocasta: Why should men fear since change is all in all/ for him, and you can clearly foreknow nothing? / Best to live lightly, as one can, unthinkingly.

Comment : This interchange between Oedipus and Jocasta after Oedipus falsely believes he is free of his damning prophesy because he thinks his actual father just died of natural causes provides an intriguing insight into Jocasta’s disposition and motives. Her line: “Why should men fear since change is all in all/ for him, and you can clearly foreknow nothing?/ Best to live lightly, as one can, unthinkingly,” suggests that that her philosophy is to live, attempting to avoid letting the potential unknown bog you down. There are certain things you cannot control or ever see coming. However, there is also an element that ignorance is acceptable that the word “unthinkingly” enforces. Jocasta also contradicts herself because in the aforementioned line she acknowledges human’s inability to “foresee” things and implicitly accepts human’s impotency in light of a higher power, but in she also affirms that oracles, a higher power who predicts future are “worthless”.

Despite, this facades of confidence: “That I already told you before now,” and semi-didactic tone: “Then lay no more of them to heart, not one”, Jocasta is very much in an internal struggle to figure how she views the power of human volition. She may very well be doubting whether she actually has successfully evaded her fated destiny. Furthermore, this doubt could suggest that she may not coherently but somehow unconsciously knows that Oedipus is her son. Her lecturing tone definitely suggests a mother talking to her son. Following this train of logic, her emphasis on ignorance is essential. She herself must believe in ignorance because it allows her to remain in doubt and not know for sure the potentially frightening truth. Additionally, by encouraging Oedipus to adapt this state as well she hopes to hide him from this same truth and save herself and him from unbearable pain and grief. His quest for knowledge will remove their strongest defense: a reliance on not knowing. Jocasta takes the only path that she feels she can; however, ignorance cannot maintained forever. Jocasta learns this lesson all too well.

https://literaturehumanities.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/oedipus-rex-jocasta-uncovered/
zina antoaneta
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:32:23 PM

Neurons: 130,688
monamagda wrote:
Context from : Oedipus Rex
Lines 970-980

Jocasta Uncovered

Oedipus: But they, / oracles as they stand- he’s taken them/ away with him, they’re dead as he is himself is, / and worthless

Jocasta: That I already told you before now.

Oedipus: You did, but I was misled by my fear.

Jocasta: Then lay no more of them to heart, not one

Oedipus: But surely I must fear my mother’s bed

Jocasta: Why should men fear since change is all in all/ for him, and you can clearly foreknow nothing? / Best to live lightly, as one can, unthinkingly.

Comment : This interchange between Oedipus and Jocasta after Oedipus falsely believes he is free of his damning prophesy because he thinks his actual father just died of natural causes provides an intriguing insight into Jocasta’s disposition and motives. Her line: “Why should men fear since change is all in all/ for him, and you can clearly foreknow nothing?/ Best to live lightly, as one can, unthinkingly,” suggests that that her philosophy is to live, attempting to avoid letting the potential unknown bog you down. There are certain things you cannot control or ever see coming. However, there is also an element that ignorance is acceptable that the word “unthinkingly” enforces. Jocasta also contradicts herself because in the aforementioned line she acknowledges human’s inability to “foresee” things and implicitly accepts human’s impotency in light of a higher power, but in she also affirms that oracles, a higher power who predicts future are “worthless”.

Despite, this facades of confidence: “That I already told you before now,” and semi-didactic tone: “Then lay no more of them to heart, not one”, Jocasta is very much in an internal struggle to figure how she views the power of human volition. She may very well be doubting whether she actually has successfully evaded her fated destiny. Furthermore, this doubt could suggest that she may not coherently but somehow unconsciously knows that Oedipus is her son. Her lecturing tone definitely suggests a mother talking to her son. Following this train of logic, her emphasis on ignorance is essential. She herself must believe in ignorance because it allows her to remain in doubt and not know for sure the potentially frightening truth. Additionally, by encouraging Oedipus to adapt this state as well she hopes to hide him from this same truth and save herself and him from unbearable pain and grief. His quest for knowledge will remove their strongest defense: a reliance on not knowing. Jocasta takes the only path that she feels she can; however, ignorance cannot maintained forever. Jocasta learns this lesson all too well.

https://literaturehumanities.wordpress.com/2013/10/12/oedipus-rex-jocasta-uncovered/

Wow! That's quite a context, Monamagda, thank you! So, can we attribute this quote to Sophocles if it is said by a deeply confused character in one of his plays?
Does living lightly and unthinkingly mean ignoring the nagging truth staring you in the face?