The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

UN votes to reject US recognition of Jerusalem as capital. Options
progpen
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:49:57 PM

Neurons: 245,337
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/21/united-nations-un-vote-donald-trump-jerusalem-israel

The UN General Assembly voted in an emergency session of the world body and by a very large majority in the symbolic gesture to reject the US President's unilateral decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital. Even though it was a mostly symbolic vote, the US President and the US Ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, had been threatening to cut funding to any member that did not back them. In the end 128 members voted to rebuke the US President's decision and only 9 members voted not to rebuke (US, Israel, Togo, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau, Marshall Islands, Guatemala and Honduras).

Thirty-five countries abstained, including five EU states, and other US allies including Australia, Canada, Colombia and Mexico. Ambassadors from several abstaining countries, including Mexico, used their time on the podium to criticise Trump’s unilateral move.

Another 21 delegations were absent from the vote, suggesting the Trump’s warning over funding cuts and Israel’s lobbying may have had some effect.

Edit:
Also from the article are these two eye-opening quotes from Nikki Haley:
“I must also say today: when we make generous contributions to the UN, we also have expectation that we will be respected,” she said. “What’s more, we are being asked to pay for the dubious privileges of being disrespected.”

Haley added: “If our investment fails, we have an obligation to spend our investment in other ways … The United States will remember this day.”

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Parpar1836
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:09:08 PM

Neurons: 8,797
I call it "the latest act in the ongoing farce, "The UN versus Israel."
Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:36:01 PM

Neurons: 42,695

The thing that tickled a lot of people was the fact that she also said she would be "taking down names" for Trump. Just like a Hall Monitor.

However, this just might be the most grossly enlightening of all Trump's delusions: - it has signalled clearly that he has no earthly idea of what he's doing and saying.

His grandiose dream that he is a world leader may have to be accepted in America - but did he honestly expect THE WHOLE WORLD to do his bidding? Seriously and truly?

But, when he starts threatening and trying to bully the entire globe; clutching his weapons, and expecting no-one else knows anything about America's escalating inability to hand out millions to anyone who isn't part of the current Administration; THAT'S the moment that will go down in the history books.

Coming hard on the heels of the fact that he has also been successful in turning over the American internet to those who have vested and very pressing interests in controlling access to content; the man has now proved his unfitness to be in any position of authority of any kind.

He's now made clear the demented delusion he has of world domination. (Not that he's working toward it: he already thinks he has it). Or as he would call it "Making everybody happy by doing whatever I tell them to. Kovfefe bigly."
progpen
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:07:45 PM

What caught my eye about the tantrums afterward was the talk about "contributions" and "investment". Clearly they do not have a firm grasp of what the UN is.

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2017 6:57:37 PM

Neurons: 43,810
Do the words "attempted blackmail" ring a bell? Glad they stood up on the whole to the bully. The US can do what they want, but not tell the world what to do. I read some Trump backers on Twitter saying the world needs the US so shut up. And the response to one of those tweets said "fo Yankee".

You could separate the followers of the two parties in Canada by their tweets about abstaining. From "coward" to "remove that awful Trudeau" to "pragmatic while in NAFTA negotiations". "Shows they don't agree with the UN resolution but don't want to poke the bear or their friend Israel."

Canada's official statement:

"Canada continues to support building the conditions necessary for the parties to find a peaceful solution. We are disappointed that this resolution is one sided and does not advance prospects for peace to which we aspire, which is why we will abstain on today’s vote.”

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Romany
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 7:06:26 AM

I don't understand at all. Yes, sure, the Jerusalem-thing is big - but for Americans, Jerusalem is as insubstantial and far-removed as Narnia. While the Internet is for everyone. It concerns far more Americans than Jerusalem.

Yet, the first concrete step towards dictatorship - putting media in the hands of a favoured (and very, very rich!) group of partisan operatives - happens and ...what? People just shrug and say "Que sera"? Not one American poster on this forum has even mentioned the fact that freedom of expression is now banned - along with clean water, adequate education, children's programmes, adequate food, medical care for the poor and struggling; and on and on.

Where the hell is democracy if the Internet in the USA has now turned into a giant and far-reaching propagandist tool?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2017 7:23:20 AM

Neurons: 362,909
Somehow I see echoes of Hitler and Stalin in some of Trumps acts. Fearful.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
progpen
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:16:51 AM

Romany wrote:

I don't understand at all. Yes, sure, the Jerusalem-thing is big - but for Americans, Jerusalem is as insubstantial and far-removed as Narnia. While the Internet is for everyone. It concerns far more Americans than Jerusalem.

Yet, the first concrete step towards dictatorship - putting media in the hands of a favoured (and very, very rich!) group of partisan operatives - happens and ...what? People just shrug and say "Que sera"? Not one American poster on this forum has even mentioned the fact that freedom of expression is now banned - along with clean water, adequate education, children's programmes, adequate food, medical care for the poor and struggling; and on and on.

Where the hell is democracy if the Internet in the USA has now turned into a giant and far-reaching propagandist tool?

Hi Romany. There are far too few in the US who are even aware that Net Neutrality protections are being removed because it's technology, which is barely removed from magic. It works or it doesn't and there is nothing anyone can do to fix anything because it's all smoke and mirrors. The electronics equipment and devices that people have are throw away items so there is no need to understand them.

Edit: And Internet privacy is quite simply that lefty stuff that those geeks talk about. It has nothing to do with normal people.

philips daughter
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:44:55 AM

Neurons: 43,153
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Ya think? I’ve been booted off different sites, including this one just for stating the obvious. What took you guys so long?
progpen
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:48:57 AM

philips daughter wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Ya think? I’ve been booted off different sites, including this one just for stating the obvious. What took you guys so long?

The comparisons are legitimate and realistic. There have been several (I'd guess several dozen) posts here that have made realistic and factual comparisons.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 11:00:46 AM

Well that explains a lot, Progpen. That point of view is just incredible to me and I have trouble with anything past turning on a light switch. More engagement is necessary.

In a similar vein, I also just watched videos of a reporter asking Trump supporters if they were concerned at all that Russia meddled in the election. The question was not about collusion, just the meddling. I couldn't believe the rationalizations and denial which showed that they didn't want to believe and it came out that it was because it might mean Trump had help to win. I know that was only 4- 5 anecdotes, but denial seems to be what is happening in all his policies with his base, even the tax reform definitely geared to the rich, although polls show his support is down even in his base last I heard.

As for JJ's remark, now Trump is attacking with lies the Deputy, McCabe, who took over the FBI when Trump fired Comey. All the poor man wants to do is his job for 90 days so he can retire with full pension. Trump has not filled many positions in the government and more and more career people have left saying they can't do the job he wants and listen to their consciences too. Attacking the judges, FBI - Dept of Justice - the media, the senators and congressmen people, anyone who opposes him, is classic authoritarianism. He even warned them - I am the only one who is important. He has a God complex now. (Philip's Daughter, it didn't take us long -we've been saying the outcome but just not mentioning the term Hitler - a no-no again in denial.)

He is supposedly the great negotiator. It turns out that what he uses is not negotiation but bullying and blackmail as in threatening to withdraw funds if the UN countries voted against him - and the majority did anyhow.

Turns out he has built a great coalition of eight countries. Whistle And some of those were ones the US had set up the leadership. And Israel of course.

A lot of Canadians are mad that Trudeau didn't vote with the majority instead of abstaining, but Canada and Mexico are in a unique position.

However, I don't think it matters to NAFTA what Canada does to suck up. He is going to let the reps from three countries fuss about negotiations and then, if they do manage an unlikely compromise, cancel it anyhow which is what he has wanted to do from the beginning. Sort of like taking advice and then doing what you want anyhow against the advice. Wait and see if I'm right.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Listening . . .
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 11:21:42 AM

Neurons: 3,912
This is definitely a tangent but an interesting perspective - https://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/268113/leftists-and-jews-rabbi-shalom-lewis
Romany
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 11:33:05 AM

Hope - I don't think anyone blames either Canada or Mexico for the position they took. You guys are right next to the USA and are more involved than anyone else. For the good of the citizens of both countries neither could afford to bring this mad autocrat down on them.That's politics - having to make hard decisions for the good of the people one is responsible for.

Btw - how much attention does the state of American infrastructure get in local media? There have been reports and papers released in our Press recently totting up just how much money needs to be used IMMEDIATELY just to stop roads, bridges, highways falling down or crumbling away. Once again, America leads the world: the country with the worst infrastructure problems of any developed nation.

About 10 years ago there was a video released explaining how the feverish expansion after WWII was only designed to last for around 50 years. The rest of the world was wearily bankrupt and scrambling to house millions, get offices and factories working again etc. So the message was that the only unscathed country in WWII was ahead of everyone else (d'uh!) and expanding - while gambling on the idea there would be enough funding to re-build permanently at some future date.

Which there would have been had billions not gone into more military spending than all the others put together, once Peace had been declared.

I remember the effect this video had when it came out - and how we expected that the release of this it internationally would trigger at least some kind of scheme or programme to prevent needless harm to citizens going about their ordinary business. In fact, so naive was I back then that I just assumed that, once made public, it would now be prioritised. Especially by the people of the USA.

But hey, back then, I had no inkling of how USA politics worked!

(PS I HOPE this is unnecessary: but I just wanted to say that my remarks about "America" or the "USA" are not a reference to people, but to the morally bankrupt, corrupt capitalists who we now know have been operating the system for far too bloody long!)
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 1:31:10 PM

Maybe I need to add a "Me too" to this statement.

Quote Romany "PS I HOPE this is unnecessary: but I just wanted to say that my remarks about "America" or the "USA" are not a reference to people, but to the morally bankrupt, corrupt capitalists who we now know have been operating the system for far too bloody long!"

In addition -

In my opinion many who voted for Trump were trying to get rid of this corruption who are infiltrated into government. Drain the swamp idea. FD has said that. But did they choose the right man who recognized the opportunity or was it wrong to put business men from Wall Street in to drain those capitalists from the swamp? Maybe the idea was good. But we are still waiting to see if they jumped from the frying pan into the fire, and with this tax reform bill, people will know when they do this year's taxes and figure out what will happen to their taxes in a few years when the decrease goes away.

PS Romany - some of Canada's infrastructure needs some money infused into it too. It's always a problem. Plus Canada and most of the US has to contend with the damage our harsh winters do every year and the storms we get year round.

From my experience driving in the US from north to south on both coasts, infrastructure quality depends a lot upon the tax base of the area. For instance, Naples, FL, with many wealthy people, is absolutely beautiful in most of the city. But this is only my surmise.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 4:36:07 PM

Listening, I read part of the article on your link, but was interrupted to go look after risen yeast. As I was working, I was thinking it was an interesting article and I had just a couple of thoughts in response that I'll share in a second.

But first I'd like to share what Whoopi Goldberg, a woman who has turned out to have a mature sensible down-to-earth outlook and has endured discrimination as a black person has said (something similar to this) - "The anger at politically correctness is just a backlash by the majority that minorities are finally demanding their rights in America".

My first thoughts about the article were - one - the Rabbi is behind the times in the use of the derogatory historical English word "squaw" to mean an Indigenous woman. Today it is equivalent to using the "N" word. Does he then agree that "N" word should be used again too? Is it all right then for them to use whatever derogatory word they used for Jewish people - I don't remember what it was. Those ethnic terms and jokes and female jokes are a thing of the past even in older Canadians that I associate with. It just happened because of social approval. No more Newfoundland (or blonde) jokes by Canadians who had probably never even met someone from Nfld but went with the stereotype.

And it wasn't some -quote the Rabbi - "flip-flop-wearing whippersnapper, sitting in Portland or Boulder or San Francisco" who asked that this word for a female Indigenous woman not be used. It was the Indigenous people themselves. A chief in northern Ontario for one was just in the news talking about it because of all the anti-Indigenous racism they encounter in Northern Ontario. Where the line is though is still to be drawn and I hope they don't go overboard which is what the rabbi was basically saying, so I agree with that sentiment.

My second thought was that I although I hate it when Americans divide everybody into Right and Left, (Canadians do somewhat too although it is not as entrenched) it is often, but not necessarily only, those on the political Left in the US and Canada who are trying to help the minorities of race, culture, gender etc. with their social programs.

So in my view helping those people in minority groups is a good thing for the Left to be accused of doing and so I thus understand why the Left is the group accused of being too politically correct.

However, when I got back to reading the long article, I changed my mind about the content as I skipped over the righteous part about how the Jewish people are compassionate and correct and the Palestinians are not and are incorrect. He undid everything he said by showing his own bias. Quoth the Rabbi, "Contrast the two. One is enlightened and civilized. The other is depraved and primitive." Guess which he considers himself and his group to be.

Why he says the Left is against Israel and for the Palestinians I have no idea. The US and Canada have a pro Israel stance. And Canadians like myself just wish they would both do some compromising and stop expecting us to solve their problems for them.

As the Rabbi tried to show that the Right is not to blame for whatever he claims the Left is, he said as proof that membership in white supremacist groups has not gone up. I have no idea if that is true, and it very well may be, but the point was not membership. It was that they have become more blatant with the approval of the President who needed their support and was reluctant to condemn them even during the campaign.

Then I actually skimmed through the rant of a list of all the wrongs he sees and blames on the Left. There are too many points to try to respond to any of them except to say, "some were good, some were bad, and some were spin from an obviously Republican Rabbi".

Rabbis are allowed their personal points of view but I'm not sure that politics is a good idea in the pulpit. It is not ever even mentioned in any (Christian) church I've ever been in in Canada. Even during elections. Separation of church and state.

And he has been very lucky for him and his synagogue to not have been the target of abuse. Mosques and synagogues have been targets here in Canada and it is has been getting worse the last couple of years, to our shame.

::
If I were still on Photobucket I'd post a pic of the first (superb if I say so myself) batch of yeast buns that are all baked and ready for tomorrow. The second batch are proofing and will go into the oven in less than an hour now.

This is the easiest December for me in a long time. Gift choices were made easy, I'm not cooking dinner, I did not bake cookies, and since we are going for a shorter holiday and not till Feb, I am not spending December cleaning and closing up a condo, packing for a three month stay, and organizing special food and water for a four day auto trip.

Merry Christmas and have a great day tomorrow. We intend to do the same with our family.

Life is good. As Chrysta Freeland, an ambassador for Canada has said, "Many people in the world are not as fortunate as the least fortunate Canadian". I agree and am grateful in spite of the challenges I personally face.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 6:37:16 AM

US just cut at least $285 Million in UN funds to send a message about the denunciation vote - trying to control the rest of the world.

Maybe we should do some crowd funding for the UN!