The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pooh Powered Car Options
Wanderer
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 3:52:31 PM

Neurons: 78,988
I was just catching up with BBC Science and there near Bristol they have developed a "pooh-powered" car. How self-sustaining can you get? Are there really going to be technologies that will make this kind of thing common place?
chitta chatta
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:26:43 PM

Neurons: 1,183
OFF THE CUFF:-
(1) It is not common knowledge, but the Brisbane Airport runway is 'poo' compacted from the local Luggage Point Sewage Plant.

(2) After the sewage solids are treated, the by-product is also used on several Brisbane golf courses. It is NOT used on any food products. And,

(3) The gas it creates (nitrogen?) is collected in massive tanks transferred into electricity, and used to run the sewage system; thus, creating an affordable sewage plant which reduces reliance upon coal-burning electricity from the main grid. Therefore, relieving the local Brisbane ratepayers of higher charges.

Other towns have been studying its efficiency with adoption purposes, and I believe it is an exemplary role-model to other cities/nations. Thus, reducing this VERY USEFUL waste being forced into the sea (which I think the "older" Sydney Council may STILL be doing at Bondi Beach!)

So, if this can also be utilised for cars; I would happily buy one (if I could afford it).Dancing Especially if it would help reduced such terrible ocean tragedies of the like we have seen on the American East-Coast recently.

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do to a fellow creature, let me do it now. For I may never pass this way again. (unknown)
abcxyz
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:29:32 PM

Neurons: 3,200
Wanderer wrote:
I was just catching up with BBC Science and there near Bristol they have developed a "pooh-powered" car. How self-sustaining can you get? Are there really going to be technologies that will make this kind of thing common place?

Awesome. Just have a good meal before you go on a long drive.
Inventing a fart-powered engine will solve the oil crisis forever.

In this world there is no literate population that is poor and no illiterate population that is other than poor. - J.K.Galbraith
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:35:17 PM

Neurons: 7,777
Great...so now all the public toilets can play the role of petrol pumps :p
On a less serious note, abcxyz, fart-powered engines will also save the cost of having to generate the gas from pooh.

Gotcha, bud, again
worldsclyde
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:35:24 PM

Neurons: 2,390
So, this has nothing to do with Winnie the Pooh?

You stand between me and all my enemies. -Son Lux
Wanderer
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:35:56 PM

I could always take my dogs for the ride.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:36:22 PM

worldsclyde wrote:
So, this has nothing to do with Winnie the Pooh?

Hmm...how did I miss that? Winnie is certainly yellowish...Think

Gotcha, bud, again
Wanderer
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:38:39 PM

Suddenly your little Big Foot face looked sad. Sorry, but I bet you'd be good for a couple hundred miles.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:38:57 PM

chitta chatta wrote:

(2) After the sewage solids are treated, the by-product is also used on several Brisbane golf courses. It is NOT used on any food products. And,

Why not? Why can't we use it for food products?? I can't think of any reason. Whistle

Gotcha, bud, again
chitta chatta
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:50:00 PM

Neurons: 1,183
It is not my choice KM, but the department running the sewage system.

I guess it's because of the fear of HIV-AIDS that they are concerned about; or Hepatitis A/B/C/etc. Their reasons are not clear to me.

(Trivia) I think it was Jo Bjelke Petersen who supported the Steam-Engine car. If we can run a steam-eninge train; then, why has nobody come up with the idea of the same principle for a car? (I've heard that the big, money-making, petroleum companies buy out these ideas from new inventors to prevent them becoming popular).

Back On Track:- Please keep us up-to-date of the 'pooh' car.

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good that I can do to a fellow creature, let me do it now. For I may never pass this way again. (unknown)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 4:53:34 PM

Neurons: 409,775
Wanderer wrote:

I can imagine a pooh-power is similar to horsepower, the amount of energy needed to gain a pot of honey.
So, to get a pot of honey you need some amount of bees. To have a hundred pooh-power under your hood means a lot of bees and a lot of hum, am I right? To have such a car means a good hum.

In common place I would take the pot of honey, if you please. With the cherry on top, thanks.
Think Whistle Whistle Whistle

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
worldsclyde
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 5:06:46 PM

Neurons: 2,390
Wanderer wrote:
Suddenly your little Big Foot face looked sad. Sorry, but I bet you'd be good for a couple hundred miles.

Yes, my vegitarian diet has its side effects. Sadly, the forests I live in are mostly designated as "roadless".

You stand between me and all my enemies. -Son Lux
TazMage
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 6:26:09 PM

Neurons: 108
chitta chatta wrote:
OFF THE CUFF:-
(3) The gas it creates (nitrogen?) is collected in massive tanks transferred into electricity, and used to run the sewage system; thus, creating an affordable sewage plant which reduces reliance upon coal-burning electricity from the main grid. Therefore, relieving the local Brisbane ratepayers of higher charges.

Other towns have been studying its efficiency with adoption purposes, and I believe it is an exemplary role-model to other cities/nations. Thus, reducing this VERY USEFUL waste being forced into the sea (which I think the "older" Sydney Council may STILL be doing at Bondi Beach!)

So, if this can also be utilised for cars; I would happily buy one (if I could afford it).Dancing Especially if it would help reduced such terrible ocean tragedies of the like we have seen on the American East-Coast recently.

In general, the major components of gastrointestinal gas are Nitrogen (N2), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Oxygen (O2), Hydrogen (H2) and Methane (CH4).

So, we have nitro, carbon dioxide, OXYGEN ( we can breathe our own farts 8^) ), hydrogen (bomb anyone?) and methane. Very explosive stuff if you ask me. Maybe they'll be able to make a car that has an anal interface built into the seat (lol) where all you have to do is fart your way down the road! 8^)

"Savor the fruit of life my young friends, it has a sweet taste when it is fresh from the vine, but don't live too long, the taste turns bitter after a time."- Kor, Dahar Master, son of Rynar
excaelis
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 6:31:40 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I suppose one could work on a poohbrid, combining pooh and gas, if it wasn't so messy.

Sanity is not statistical
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 7:15:27 PM

Neurons: 9,763
What's all this commotion about a Pooh-powered car!

It's inhumane, it's barbaric, I'm calling the SPCA!!

To make that cute, sweet, cuddly pooh-bear pull your darn SUV...shame, shame, shame!

Oooooohhhhhh,

A car that runs on...on....that stuff??

never mind.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
excaelis
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 7:22:34 PM

Ironic that this research is led by the British. The cars were crap for years so I guess fuelling them with it is the logical next move.

GeorgeV
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 8:12:59 PM

Neurons: 2,410
My heart missed a beat as I read the first mention of Winnie. Then it almost stopped when I saw that poo kept being ignored.

Brain-washing starts in the cradle. - Arthur Koestler
kaleem
Posted: Friday, August 6, 2010 9:05:10 PM

Neurons: 9,948
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
Great...so now all the public toilets can play the role of petrol pumps :p
On a less serious note, abcxyz, fart-powered engines will also save the cost of having to generate the gas from pooh.

That's good one!

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Saturday, August 7, 2010 12:58:36 AM

Here is the link to the poo-powered car. It runs on methane generated from solid waste and then it is treated to get rid of CO2. That seems to be the normal procedure for biogas usage as fuel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10884539

Can anyone tell me how CO2 is removed from CH4? Is it by burning CH4 in an insufficient amount of O2? That gives carbon and carbon monoxide, besides water as products.

edit: Okay, I've found one possible answer.
http://www.zorg-biogas.com/biogas-plants/additional-equipment/biogas-treatment-system
By simply using pressure and water!

Gotcha, bud, again
skyrings
Posted: Monday, August 9, 2010 8:05:10 AM

Neurons: 146
bring and eat more steam sweet potato while driving for more better mileage...Dancing

If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see
Wanderer
Posted: Monday, August 9, 2010 9:10:12 AM

Vegetarians go 'fart'her!
excaelis
Posted: Monday, August 9, 2010 1:33:32 PM

I think the Ford Fecal or Oldsmobile Ordure would be great names for such a vehicle. Any other ideas?

SunDevil
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:35:26 AM

Neurons: 262
Yes. Other names for cars could be:

MB BM
Cadillac Compost
Nissan Nitrate
Wanderer
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:13:42 AM

You guys keep me laughing. And ya know, this kinda of thing is something I could really get behind.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:50:12 PM

I'm not at all sure that getting behind it would be the sage decision, W. You think vehicle emissions are bad right now, my friend? What would happen if the Crapalytic converter blew out, or the muffler -check that- diaper fell off? Forget gridlock, get a load of the future: S**tlock!!
And would there be different grades? What about trucks? Maybe they'd be running elephant dung, while mopeds could be powered by mildly incontinent mice. 'I've seen the future, brother, it is ' merder '.

philips daughter
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:59:28 PM

Neurons: 43,583
I miss HWNN and Worldsclyde. Glad you are still here JJ.
almo 1
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:18:15 PM

Neurons: 5,715
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 7:46:32 AM

Neurons: 409,775
Australias first poo-powered car was unveiled May 23, 2017 - YouTube

Something stinks here ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
palapaguy
Posted: Monday, December 25, 2017 2:09:35 PM

Neurons: 10,845
Wanderer wrote:

If anyone wants methane to try this idea, just let me know. I've got an unlimited supply right here. Whistle