The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Humanity Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 1:35:54 PM

Neurons: 44,241
This post is a Digression to a digression re Sagan - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/achenblog/wp/2014/07/10/carl-sagan-denied-being-an-atheist-so-what-did-he-believe-part-1/?utm_term=.bdaffaa017f6

Sagan's viewpoint according to his wife - He did not like the label of atheist and was closer to being an agnostic, as he believed in science and was willing to wait for each successive breakthrough in information. He definitely was not a theist.

When I was discussing climate change, I wish I had known what he said about skeptics (on above website of link) - they are not able to change their POV even when confronted with new information. Skepticism is not enough.

The quote Lotje posted re Sagan's ideas of theory and hypothesis seem of value to me.

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2017 2:24:48 PM

Neurons: 44,241
You asked for examples of humanity, Will. Here's a touching true story the day before Christmas in Canada. And I'm sure this happens many times a day all over the world, but for once the media featured a feel-good story instead of their usual negativity.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/12/23/homeless-man-returns-mistakenly-donated-diamond-ring-to-bc-woman.html

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable, who believes there is no virtue but on his own side. Addison