mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Trifle Options
D00M
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:57:41 AM

Neurons: 3,918
Hello respected teachers,
He is not a person to be trifled with.

Does the above mean that we should have respect for him?

I am looking forward to your answers.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:35:14 AM

Neurons: 40,648

It depends what qualities in a person you find worthy of respect, I suppose.

If someone is not to be trifled with it means "Don't mess with them". "Trifles" are very small things; unimportant, not worth bothering about.

This person is very busy and dedicated - don't go to them to talk about nonsense or gossip; unproven theories and fatuous conspiracy stories are not the kind of thing this person will waste time on either.

If such a person were the head of a crime ring, or the Mafia or something, there would be the hint of danger in such behaviour too - if you DO waste that person's time with absolute nonsense they might waste YOU!
D00M
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:22:32 PM

Neurons: 3,918
Thank you Romany, you helped me a lot today.
Would you please tell me what "trifle" means in the following?

Here is the whole paragraph:

"When she sat down for dinner at the round table covered with a three-days-old cloth, opposite her husband, who took the cover off the soup tureen, exclauming delightedly:'Aha! Scotch broth! What could be better?" she imagined delicate meals, gleaming silver, tapestries peopling the wallts with folk of a past age and strange birds in faery forests; she imagined delicate food served in marvellous dishes, murmured gallantries, listened to with an inscrutable smile as one trifled with the rosy flesh of trout or wings of asparagus chicken."

I am looking forward to your answers.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 2:50:51 PM

Neurons: 44,413
D00M wrote:
Thank you Romany, you helped me a lot today.
Would you please tell me what "trifle" means in the following?

Here is the whole paragraph:

"When she sat down for dinner at the round table covered with a three-days-old cloth, opposite her husband, who took the cover off the soup tureen, exclauming delightedly:'Aha! Scotch broth! What could be better?" she imagined delicate meals, gleaming silver, tapestries peopling the wallts with folk of a past age and strange birds in faery forests; she imagined delicate food served in marvellous dishes, murmured gallantries, listened to with an inscrutable smile as one trifled with the rosy flesh of trout or wings of asparagus chicken."

trifle:
v.i.
4. to deal lightly or without due seriousness or respect.
5. to play or toy by handling or fingering (usu. fol. by with): He sat trifling with a pen.
This is the definition that is meant by this use of "trifled". They were eating their food in a delicate manner as if it was not something special.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~