The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

correction of errors Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:06:31 AM

Neurons: 11,286
The diarrhoea could go up to 20 times a day. The doctor comforted me, saying that was normal and it might continue until my daughter was one to two years old. I was very upset upon hearing the news, but I had to face the reality. I was busy clearing up diarrhoea every day. Thankfully, my mother–in-law helped out in the daily household chores, so I did not have to worry much about it.

The above is written by my daughter.

1. The diarrhoea could go up to 20 times a day This is definitely wrong, but how should I change it?

The diarrhoea struck up to 20 times a day. (Is it OK?)

2. It should be 'reality' instead of 'the reality'. Am I right?

I was busy clearing up diarrhoea This is also wrong, I believe.

I was busy clearing up the faeces caused by her diarrhoea. (Is it correct?)

I'm sorry about asking three questions at one go. I hope my daughter's English is not too bad that it is beyond comprehension.

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:21:34 PM

Neurons: 44,413
Koh Elaine wrote:
The diarrhoea could go up to 20 times a day. The doctor comforted me, saying that was normal and it might continue until my daughter was one to two years old. I was very upset upon hearing the news, but I had to face the reality. I was busy clearing up diarrhoea every day. Thankfully, my mother–in-law helped out in the daily household chores, so I did not have to worry much about it.

The above is written by my daughter.

1. The diarrhoea could go up to 20 times a day This is definitely wrong, but how should I change it?

The diarrhoea struck up to 20 times a day. (Is it OK?)
I think you could use this, but another way to say it might be: The diarrhea (or, Bouts of diarrhea) could occur up to 20 times in a day. (That is a lot of diarrhea. You have to be careful of dehydration with that much elimination of fluid).

2. It should be 'reality' instead of 'the reality'. Am I right?
I agree. I think it sounds better that way. To use "the" you could say, "But I had to face the reality of that fact."

I was busy clearing up diarrhoea This is also wrong, I believe.

I was busy clearing up the faeces caused by her diarrhoea. (Is it correct?)
That would be understood, so all you need to say is something like" I was busy cleaning her up after a bout/episode of diarrhea". Or, "I was kept busy cleaning her up after each bout/episode of diarrhea".

I'm sorry about asking three questions at one go. I hope my daughter's English is not too bad that it is beyond comprehension.
Not to worry. These were easy to answer, and I hope they are helpful.
Thanks.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 7:39:06 PM

Thanks, FounDit.

Your replies are helpful.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 11:56:40 AM

Neurons: 40,648

Koh -

FWIW - the phrase "I was busy doing...." isn't used in the West in the same way as in the East (including Australia). It took me a long while to work that out - and it's hard to explain.

The very fact that your daughter said later that she had help and the cleaning up wasn't so bad shows how differently that phrase is interpreted in the East.

Whereas a Western person, reading that would be puzzled: - "One minute she tells us she's kept busy all day cleaning up - the next minute she's admitting it's not so bad - she has lots of help??"

So, - although it's only a slightly different shade of meaning I never use the phrase "I was busy doing...." in writing anymore, here,
unless I mean it *absolutely* literally.

(Just thought I'd share that - because I found out the hard way)

Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 6:48:50 PM

Romany wrote:

Koh -

FWIW - the phrase "I was busy doing...." isn't used in the West in the same way as in the East (including Australia). It took me a long while to work that out - and it's hard to explain.

The very fact that your daughter said later that she had help and the cleaning up wasn't so bad shows how differently that phrase is interpreted in the East.

Whereas a Western person, reading that would be puzzled: - "One minute she tells us she's kept busy all day cleaning up - the next minute she's admitting it's not so bad - she has lots of help??"

So, - although it's only a slightly different shade of meaning I never use the phrase "I was busy doing...." in writing anymore, here,
unless I mean it *absolutely* literally.

(Just thought I'd share that - because I found out the hard way)

Thanks, Romany.

What does FWIW stand for?
Romany
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 7:58:02 PM

Neurons: 40,648

For What It's Worth.