The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Willa Sibert Cather (1873) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,738
Willa Sibert Cather (1873)

Cather moved with her family to Nebraska at the age of nine, and though she later settled in New York, her prairie upbringing deeply influenced her writing. Her novels, which include O Pioneers!, Death Comes for the Archbishop, and My Ántonia, celebrate the spirit and courage of pioneer life. Her works include several independent heroines of the frontier and have been studied from a feminist perspective. Cather occasionally wore men's clothing and went by what nickname? More...
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:11:48 AM

Neurons: 82,954
American writer

with my pleasure
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 5:41:15 AM

Neurons: 2,018,988
Today's Birthday
Willa Sibert Cather (1873)
Cather moved with her family to Nebraska at the age of nine, and though she later settled in New York, her prairie upbringing deeply influenced her writing. Her novels, which include O Pioneers!, Death Comes for the Archbishop, and My Ántonia, celebrate the spirit and courage of pioneer life. Her works include several independent heroines of the frontier and have been studied from a feminist perspective.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, December 07, 2017 3:52:49 PM

Neurons: 3,777,928

Cather's given name was Wilella, but her family always called her "Willa" or, probably even more often, "Willie," which was a common Southern pronunciation of a name ending in -a. She signed herself "Willie" or "Aunt Willie" in many of her family letters for most of her life (and, occasionally, as a child, when she was feeling particularly interested in science, as "William Cather, M. D."). In 1936, she reflected on her unusual first name in a letter to a reader: "I never liked my own first name. I never like feminine forms of masculine names, in fact. If I had known, when I first began to write, that my name would be printed about a good deal, I would certainly have changed it to Mary or Jane, or Janet."