The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

World Mainstream Media 2017 - What's Happening in Your Country? Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 11:25:35 PM

Neurons: 48,155
A discussion about what is happening to the MSM - mainstream media - in the different countries around the world might be interesting if any of you have some thoughts about what is happening in your country, whether it is free press or not.

In Canada the media is under attack and dying. Journalists and newspapers are literally dying. Canadian jobs are being lost because new owners are killing the newspapers, leaving smaller cities with no access to news. Journalist slayings are increasing all over the world.

The role of the free press is not only to present unslanted facts on current happenings but also to research and to hold officials of institutions accountable. What will happen if we lose our free press? Is it not the basis for democracy?

The American media is also under attack by their president. So what is Trump's definition of "fake news"? To me it is the intent to deceive knowing it is not true, as some hackers were doing.

Republicans have a different definition. Meghan McCain today said - twice when questioned again - that fake news includes the mistake a reporter made on Friday and he was suspended without pay for a month. He got the timing wrong for when Trump told Flynn to contact the Russians and it made a big difference. The reporter made a mistake and paid for it. He was held accountable and accepted the punishment. So journalists are not allowed to be human and make a mistake? Trump et al are not even being held accountable because he is bypassing MSM and using Twitter to spread his lies. He said that you can tell people anything and they will believe you.

There is a perception by Republicans like Meghan McCain who also said today the MSM is biased towards the Liberals in the US. I think both sides in America are guilty of confirmation bias on that one.

But even if the news is true, the media in both Canada and the US still shapes perceptions by using sound bites to max sensationalism, by how skilled the reporter is in judging what is important, and by whether or not they keep their bias out unless it is an opinion piece and so labeled. To give an example of how an opinion was shaped by the media in the US I quote from another thread - (not meant as rehash of ancient election)

Hope123 said: As well - One by one, we're finding out the true character of the male journalists who treated HillaryClinton (and her voters) with seething disdain and sexism.

FounDit said: ??? Perhaps you could provide a list of those journalists. (I provided it on that thread) I certainly don't recall that. What I recall is Hillary treating half our citizens with contempt and disdain, calling them a basket of deplorables.

I just looked at Hillary's exact quote, which was a poor choice of words. But she did NOT say half of our citizens. It was half of the Trump supporters and she was talking about the Tiki torch holders. Her point was really about the other "half" who needed empathy for being lumped with the white supremacists. But everybody remembers it as FD did - numbers doubled and out of context.

Half of something was a figure of speech here - and everybody took it literally while I was told by FD on a thread a while ago that I should not take what Trump says literally. ??

The same situation happened when @HillaryClinton said "what difference does it make" as that too was blown out of context! And when I used the same phrase on the Forum it was taken out of context by a Trump supporter and I was accused of having the same lack of compassion - exactly as they did to Hillary.

But Trump said "We have a tremendous amount of people in this country that don’t want to work. They have no inclination to work. Eventually, the 50 percent cannot carry—and it’s unfair to them—but cannot carry the other 50 percent."

So 50% of Americans are lazy. How many heard that comment? How many took that "half" as being 50% of the population? Nobody. The media didn't report it.

Trump says they took his comments about Mexicans out of context, that he was only talking about immigration policies, not Mexican people, when he made the "they send us rapists etc but some are good" comments. Perhaps this was his poor choice of words example being taken out of context too.

This same type of interaction happens in Canadian politics with Conservatives and Liberals but the world is more familiar with politics in the States recently so I used those examples.

Summary - we need dedicated journalists who are free to report what they find is true without having to reveal their sources. However, they have to do due diligence to get the facts and not just try to be the first with the most sensational scoop. They have to keep emotional words out so their bias does not show. Even after all her years as a news person, I still do not know Barbara Walters personal politics or feelings - and some of the reporters today could take lessons from her.

And we as citizens need to be willing to pay to get this news or we will become like North Korea where the state controls the news.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Hope123
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 11:33:11 PM

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/opinion/2017/12/04/why-billy-bushs-trump-op-ed-should-terrify-us-all.html

Trump never took responsibility for what he said he did. And now he’s trying to say he never said it? ...the fact he (Billy Bush) even needed to write it (op-ed) should be chilling. Is this really where we are? In just over a year, has Trump really managed to turn indisputable facts into what-if discussions?...Trump’s relentless assault on reality is not just reshaping political discourse; it is reshaping American democracy. A CBS News poll this weekend found that “71 per cent of Alabama Republicans say the allegations against Roy Moore are false, and those who believe this also overwhelmingly believe Democrats and the media are behind those allegations...
In his op-ed, Bush shares another telling anecdote. During one private conversation, he says he called out Trump’s tendency to inflate TV ratings. Trump’s response: “People will just believe you. You just tell them and they believe you.”
It’s one thing to be guided by deception when you are a bloviating charlatan in the entertainment industry. It’s quite another to do so as a world leader at a time when words increasingly have grave consequences.
That’s what is so remarkable and terrifying about Bush’s op-ed: everything is now up for debate and reality is the least of it."

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2017/11/29/readers-need-to-start-paying-for-the-news.html

He says if somebody wanted to give you free donuts you would not be lining up to buy them. But if you are smart, you would at least ask where they came from. News that comes from Google and Facebook is not news. There are no journalists on their payroll. They take what journalists have worked hard to get and then just report it, getting the financial rewards. Smart people once again should be asking for the source. Since the advertisers have fled to Google and Facebook, it is left to the consumers to have to pay to get real independent news.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
almo 1
Posted: Monday, December 4, 2017 11:43:47 PM

Neurons: 5,715
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:34:58 AM

Thank you Almo for pointing out Andrew's thread where my previous related thread was mentioned about in which direction the various news media are biased.

What's your opinion about the media in Japan?

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 10:06:08 AM

Preet Bahara (attorney Trump fired) tweeted this this morning.

Ladies and gentlemen, Erdogan's deputy wants to kill Turkish journalists in exile, including those in America. turkishminute.com/2017/12/04/erd…

Will Trump try to stop them from killing American journalists?

Being a journalist always was dangerous, but it is much more so these days.

I can guess what goes on in Turkey but I was hoping to hear about other countries.

Is the press free there? Do they sensationalize as much the North American ones do? Do they often miss the point of the story? Do they research to call out wrongs in the society? Are they biased against either gender?

I think this is an important topic for democratic countries. We fought wars to keep our freedom and this is another but different war. Are people going to stop becoming real journalists and let social media just take over?

philips daughter
Posted: Tuesday, December 5, 2017 6:33:23 PM

Neurons: 43,596
Hi Hope. I may be naive but I trust most of the journalists. When they make wrongful statements they either correct themselves or someone calls them out. And they correct themselves. When situations are chaotic it is easy to have mixed information coming in. Plus, with 24 hour news stories get repeated until it consumes their focus. I listen to CBS and used to watch CNN for the most up-to-date. What I mean by that is they usually have the story before anyone else. Being first they sometimes get bad information. What I can appreciate is that they own it and correct. FOX is the exception. They have to be beat down before they ever admit wrong.

I was disappointed when Charlie Rose was outed as a sexual harasser. I am still trying to decide how much it matters in my judgment when considering his journalism. It is good that women are speaking up but, I don’t think all sexual harassment is actually criminal. But, if I started recounting all the times I’ve had been harassed we would be here for a long time. I even had an old man at the grocery store say something really nasty to me a few months ago. I thought I was too old for that. My years taught me to speak up and do it loudly and do it immediately. If that old geezer isn’t embarrassed to say what he did then, I’m not embarrassed to tell him off.

But, US news doesn’t tell us everything. I always appreciate when all of you give us your news. I like different view points. Some people don’t. I worry that technology can fool us so easily. Mostly I am alarmed that our president is trying to control the news. I wish he could learn to say these famous words, “No comment.” But he is so thin-skinned he can’t let anything slide. There is no low that he won’t go.