The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Trump Revealed Israeli Commando and Mossad Operation in Syria to Russians Options
progpen
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 12:27:00 PM

Neurons: 245,337
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.824545
When U.S. President Donald Trump revealed Israeli intelligence to senior Russian officials in March, he disclosed details of a covert Israeli mission to penetrate an Islamic State cell deep in Syria, claimed Vanity Fair's Howard Blum on Wednesday.

Israel's counterterrorism unit, working along with members of the Mossad, obtained information that a Syrian Islamic State cell had developed bombs that could be placed in laptops and then go through airport security undetected. Trump allegedly gave this information to the Russian officials.

Trump reportedly passed the intelligence to the Russians without first notifying and discussing the decision with Israeli principals. According to Vanity Fair, this violation of U.S.-Israeli trust implicated the larger Middle East, as Israel assumed Russia would pass this intelligence information to their allies: the Iranians.

It appears that the current occupant of the White House has yet to grasp the concept that loose lips sink ships. Or maybe it was his plan all along to help the Iranians, since Putin is BFFs with them.

This just shows that the current occupant's 140 character attention span is not capable of grasping the far reaching affects of his words and actions.

Also from the article:
In January, it was reported that Israeli intelligence officials were concerned that the exposure of classified information to their American counterparts in the Trump administration could lead to it being leaked to Russia and onward to Iran. The intelligence concerns, which had been discussed in closed forums, were based on suspicions of ties between Trump, or his associates, and the government of Vladimir Putin in Moscow.

According to the January report, American officials under President Barack Obama implied that Israel should “be careful” when transferring intelligence information to the White House and the National Security Council following Trump's inauguration on January 20.

So from this we can assume that the Obama Administration had reason to believe that the Trump team had unhealthy ties to Putin.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Romany
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 2:48:30 PM

Neurons: 42,695
Proggy -

While all this caused a furore at the time, since then it's been shoved aside by media. And many more Foreign Policy SNAFUs have taken its place. I'm just curious as to why, then, they have suddenly resurrected it?
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:27:37 PM

Neurons: 1,469,524
There's too much to deal with at once.

But with Michael Flynn cutting ties to Trump, it could be a sign something very big indeed is up.

I remember when Trump said he'd stand with Israel better than Clinton ever did. I guess that was up there with him being more for gay rights than other presidents (the logic goes something like this: Clinton did not insult certain countries that repressed gays. But Trump allowed a transgender participant in one of his beauty pageant. Those who wanted to believe this sort of tortuous logic/false equivalence inevitably did. I suppose we can't stop them.)

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2017 10:53:33 PM

Neurons: 245,337
Hi Romany. I understand that it seems like beating a dead horse, but I don't remember seeing the Iran connection brought up in this one particular case, although I could be wrong.

And I agree with Andrew. There is far too much to deal with at once, which could actually work in his favor since he is the President of social media. He knows that all he has to do is wait all of this out while he creates media distractions and social media will eventually move on to the next scandal. He is betting that by this time next year the court of public opinion (the only one that holds any value for him) will rule in his favor.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Romany
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 9:22:24 AM

Neurons: 42,695

thanks guys. I was hopeful that it was related to the Investigation; that perhaps they were now going onto another tack where this was leading?

I have to say that following the actual Senate and Congressional etc. sessions has restored my faith that the Day Care Centre has got some adults handling things. Many things which, at the time, made me think "This is outrageous! How are they ALLOWED to say/do that with total impunity?" were not, as it had seemed, just overlooked and ignored. In these interrogations, listening to the questions and answers, it becomes clear that tabs. really HAVE been kept on behaviours which shocked the world.(Like the House Elf's "Ah don't recaal l" seeming to be his Get Out of Jail Free card).

Find I'm not quite read yet to begin to mourn the death of justice.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 10:35:49 AM

Neurons: 43,810
Ro, it looks as if Flynn is working with Mueller as his lawyers have stopped contact with djt.

Preet Bharara, US Attorney for southern New York, known as a crusader on Wall Street, who (it was speculated) was getting too close to djt's financial affairs and was fired by djt, tweeted this -

[i]"If you're dead to rights, flipping on others and cooperating with the prosecution is the only sane and rational move. Also, prosecutors accept cooperation only if you can provide "substantial assistance." Higher up in the food chain. Stay tuned..."[/i

Bharara says he doesn't know why he was fired but laid out the facts that the president kept calling him around the time djt was talking to Sessions trying to get the Arpao and Flynn cases to go away. He was fired after he refused to take the last call.

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2017 6:15:24 PM

This is trending on Twitter today -

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/trump-intel-slip

Another aspect is what happened to Israel's agent in Syria because of Trump's betrayal. Was he outed, killed, or had to leave? "Whatever happened to him, it’s a hell of price to pay for a president’s mistake."

How supporters can read stuff like this and continue supporting him! You can't make stuff like this up. It would be too incredible in a fiction story - nobody would believe it could happen.

"So why? Why did a president who has time after volatile time railed against leakers, who has attacked Hillary Clinton for playing fast and loose with classified information, cozy up to a couple of Russian bigwigs in the Oval Office and breezily offer government secrets...

“Trump betrayed us,” said a senior Israeli military official bluntly, his voice stern with reproach. “And if we can’t trust him, then we’re going to have to do what is necessary on our own if our back is up against the wall with Iran.” Yet while appalled governments are now forced to rethink their tactics in future dealings with a wayward president, there is also the dismaying possibility that a more tangible, and more lethal, consequence has already occurred. “The Russians will undoubtedly try to figure out the source or the method of this information to make sure that it is not also collecting on their activities in Syria—and in trying to do that they could well disrupt the source,” said Michael Morell.
What, then, was the fate of Israel’s agent in Syria? Was the operative exfiltrated to safety? Has he gone to ground in enemy territory? Or was he hunted down and killed? One former Mossad officer with knowledge of the operation and its aftermath will not say. Except to add pointedly, “Whatever happened to him, it’s a hell of price to pay for a president’s mistake."

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:54:08 AM

Neurons: 1,469,524
Hope123 wrote:
Ro, it looks as if Flynn is working with Mueller as his lawyers have stopped contact with djt.

Preet Bharara, US Attorney for southern New York, known as a crusader on Wall Street, who (it was speculated) was getting too close to djt's financial affairs and was fired by djt, tweeted this -

[i]"If you're dead to rights, flipping on others and cooperating with the prosecution is the only sane and rational move. Also, prosecutors accept cooperation only if you can provide "substantial assistance." Higher up in the food chain. Stay tuned..."[/i

Bharara says he doesn't know why he was fired but laid out the facts that the president kept calling him around the time djt was talking to Sessions trying to get the Arpao and Flynn cases to go away. He was fired after he refused to take the last call.

As an aside, Preet Bharara's podcast Stay Tuned is quite good. It has transcripts, too, if reading is quicker than listening. https://www.cafe.com/series/stay-tuned/

Bharara can't say for sure why Trump fired him but I suspect Trump was trying to dangle a carrot by keeping Bharara on and giving him the "You can keep your job if you're nice to me" spiel. Bharara goes into detail about it in the podcast but I couldn't find it in the transcript.

I haven't realized a lot of things about the big wall between the justice department and the executive branch. For instance, Obama barely talked with Comey or Mueller, so when Trump contacted Bharara, Bharara was very surprised.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, November 25, 2017 10:21:38 PM

Thanks, Andrew. It says I can watch him on Apple Podcasts free with my app. It's on Thursdays. He seems to be a pretty straightforward trustworthy guy from all reports about him. Probably why he was fired.

That wall between the WH and the justice department that is being broken down by djt as he tries to get cases against him and his friends thrown out of investigations by contacting the department of justice is what some Americans mean when they say he is dismantling democracy piece by piece. The WH is not to influence the justice department in any way. Yet djt attacked the Mexican judge who ruled against him, has called the various justice organizations and court various unflattering names, tried to sway Comey before firing him, and probably was trying to do the same with Bharara.

That's how it happens - a right removed here, and while people are distracted by stirred up controversies - a little more is removed there. And one day the populace wakes up to find they have an authoritarian government and they have no recourse to get their rights back. Attacks on the press and free speech are other ways to stop criticism. Having only your own media broadcast what you want to be known is another - do a Twitter account, Fox News, and Breitbart being the only media he wants heard ring a bell? Overemphasizing a national security threat with fear and anger is another way to control the people - Muslim and Mexican bans for example.

Everybody accused Obama of circumventing the constitution merely by using executive orders. Djt did executive orders up the wazoo and as well has done all these other attacks on democracy - without a peep from his supporters.

No wonder some Americans on Twitter who understand are saying it will take decades to get the harm undone. Of course I'm preaching to the choir telling you this but maybe others will read these articles too. I really had no idea of how stable Germany seemed to be before Hitler and yet I certainly know about the control and power he gained.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2017/2/21/14664568/lose-constitutional-democracy-autocracy-trump-authoritarian

djt is quietly stuffing the federal bench with Trump like minds. If I were American I'd be getting very antsy.

https://www.newsandguts.com/judge-trump-quietly-stuffing-federal-bench/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpowell/2013/02/05/how-dictators-come-to-power-in-a-democracy/#737531dd7ff7