mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I am NOT a bastard Options
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:50:28 AM

Neurons: 22,062
1. There is a member who calls himself "Tunaafi."

2. I do not read any posts by this "Tunaafi."

3. This "Tunaafi" has stalked me since he joined these forums.

4. Last night, some friends telephoned me to report that this "Tunaafi" calls me a "bastard" in one of his latest posts.

a. My beloved parents were legally married.

5. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also calls me a "bigot," a "liar," and a "coward."
6. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also begs the administrators to read his post.
7. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also lambasts the administrators for letting me express my opinions.

8. I urge every member, guest, and administrator to read his post.

9. His post is in the thread entitled "Virginia/New Jersey" in the "Politics" forum.

Have a nice day!

tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 4:59:17 AM

Neurons: 53,503
TheParser wrote:
I urge every member, guest, and administrator to read his post.

Here's a linK to the thread.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:04:49 AM

Neurons: 409,255
TheParser wrote:

Parser,
you, who publicly tell us you don't read "certain" members' post,
now URGE us!!!?

What a wimp!

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:05:02 AM

Neurons: 478,607
I fail to see how this is in any way relevant in a politics subforum.

If you think someone has insulted you, talk to the admins. There is no need for you to start a thread about it.
will
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:09:50 AM

Neurons: 4,645
Some Americans have so much time on their hands that they have nothing to do but sit around and think of ways to be offended. Eh?

tunaafi
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:23:39 AM

Neurons: 53,503
TheParser wrote:

Not true.

Quote:
My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also calls me a "bigot," a "liar," and a "coward."

I have on several occasions provided evidence for the claims. I have also, on several occasions, promised to apologise for anything I have said if you can show evidence that I am wrong. Your claim that you do not read my posts is your cowardly way of refusing to enter into a reasoned discussion

Quote:
My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also begs the administrators to read his post.

Not true.

Quote:
My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also lambasts the administrators for letting me express my opinions.

Well, it seems to me that Farlex is content to provide a platform for racism, sexism, chauvinism, bigotry and lies.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:32:06 AM

Neurons: 44,793

Tuna - tho' not Tuna alone - has indeed called you a bigot. As all the posts in which you have expressed dislike, fear of, and hideous bigotry against - black people, brown people, women, and everyone who is not American - are around for all the world to see this is not libel, but a statement of fact. You have never dissembled about your bigotry, but stated it over and over again.

Your stories of TFD conspiracies, of persecution, "obsession", and "hatred" are all concocted from fantasy. There isn't a word of truth in them. So yes, you tell lies.

And coward? None of your complaints are ever laid at the door of whoever offends you. You do not engage with those whom you traduce, but rather sneak in libellous comments on unassociated threads to people who are merely asking about grammar and vocabulary. You tell total strangers - people who have just joined - your persecution fantasies; but have never, once, defended these fantasies to any of those whom you actually talk about. This is indeed cowardly behaviour. If you don't like people who own dogs, people of colour who walk in your streets, women who don't stick to the"codes of behaviour" for women in the 1950s, gay people, transgenders, and anyone who is not American, then have the courage to defend yourself.

If you truly believe all these things, and are going to continue to express them on a discussion forum - then have the guts to (metaphorically) look people in the eye, stand up for what you believe in, and provide the facts which back up your statement. Sneaking comments in behinds people's backs, bad-mouthing them to people who aren't even involved, is bound to be taken as cowardice.

The words "bigot", "liar" and "coward" are not pretty. Anyone who felt it was untrue would immediately provide the proof that these labels were not warranted. As we have done time and time again when you have made untrue statements about us.

The fact that you have never, once, attempted to deny that you have made all these anti-social, disruptive comments denigrating aforesaid women, gay, black, brown, foreign, dog-owning, lift-taking, hoody-wearing people, speak much louder than any of your infantile "poor me" scenes.

A person of honour would, at this stage, acknowledge the possibility that insulting people is hurtful and disruptive: apologise for the almost-unforgivable things they've said - and we all start all over.

Your behaviour to date would seem to indicate you will never do this. That's your prerogative. Just understand that as long as you continue to disrupt everyone with your untruths, bigotry and cowardice; you'll just have to live with those labels. The proof lies in your own words which an investigator into the truth can find at the click of a button.
will
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:01:58 AM

I’m not an expert on mental health – and, unlike TheParser, I don’t have a psychiatrist neighbour (fictional or otherwise) who is prepared to make a third party diagnosis via internet forum comments – but it seems fairly clear his behaviour is not normal or healthy.

Would it not be more humane to simply leave him to it?

He’s created a fantasy where his fears and prejudices are challenged not on their merit (or lack of) but rather because of some personal vendetta against his righteousness by monstrous foes and dark forces. He’s set himself up as the champion of a beleaguered (and conveniently silent) forum majority, too afraid to stand up and be counted. Indeed, his valiant crusade has extended far beyond this physical realm to include imagined people in imagined libraries and at the end of imagined phone calls.

Trying to reason with him will only reinforce his delusions… and this coming from me, a man who has spent too many hours trying to explain reality to peterhewett in his many guises. d'oh!

The other scenario, which I don’t think should be dismissed, is that TheParser is yanking your collective chains.

Either way, mental fragility or genius satire, continuing to ‘bite’ only serves to make this site even more ridiculous than it has already become...

On which point, I think it’s safe to assume there is no Admin on this site; considering keeppy is 22 pages into their nonsensical spamming, and Calcifer Y is 23 pages into their uninterrupted postings with barely any interest from the wider membership, and TheParser’s ‘Tidbits of the day’ and ‘Political opinions of the day’ amount to little more than trolling yet still dominate the atmosphere of the entire site.

Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:24:32 AM

will wrote:

Trying to reason with him will only reinforce his delusions… and this coming from me, a man who has spent too many hours trying to explain reality to peterhewett in his many guises. d'oh!

I agree. But I also think no one in this thread genuinely still believes that what they say is going to help TheParser change his ways. It is more about providing a response for the benefit of other people than TheParser.

will wrote:
On which point, I think it’s safe to assume there is no Admin on this site; considering keeppy is 22 pages into their nonsensical spamming, and Calcifer Y is 23 pages into their uninterrupted postings with barely any interest from the wider membership, and TheParser’s ‘Tidbits of the day’ and ‘Political opinions of the day’ amount to little more than trolling yet still dominate the atmosphere of the entire site.

I believe part of the reason Tunaafi acted the way he did (which elicited this response from TheParser) was to point out exactly this. No admin on this site is doing anything to stop the trolling and toxicity that dominate the site. You named keeppy and Calcifer Y, but regardless what you think of them, they contain what they do to one thread. TheParser is known to spread his toxicity across the subforums and no collective response from any of us has ever changed a thing. As such, I think it's fair by Tunaafi to point out that they are actively letting this behaviour happen and, as such, show they have no issue providing "a platform for racism, sexism, chauvinism, bigotry and lies. "

This is worth pointing out, even if it means feeding the beast.
almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 8:49:43 AM

Neurons: 5,715

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gang

1.1 gang up: Join together in order to intimidate or oppose someone.

example sentence:

‘I would like to join Tim in ganging up on him over this post of his today.’

towan52
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:34:24 AM

Neurons: 179,833
I, for one, have missed The Parser's erudite and eloquent commentary on current affairs and his razor-like perception of cultural mores. Please don't mock him - the forum has been a bit mundane recently - I think it must be those foreigners and Americans ... Whistle

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Buzzito
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:28:45 AM

Neurons: 558,048
Have you contacted the TFD administration?

TheParser wrote:
1. There is a member who calls himself "Tunaafi."

2. I do not read any posts by this "Tunaafi."

4. Last night, some friends telephoned me to report that this "Tunaafi" calls me a "bastard" in one of his latest posts.

a. My beloved parents were legally married.

5. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also calls me a "bigot," a "liar," and a "coward."
6. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also begs the administrators to read his post.
7. My friends tell me that this "Tunaafi" also lambasts the administrators for letting me express my opinions.

9. His post is in the thread entitled "Virginia/New Jersey" in the "Politics" forum.

Have a nice day!

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:39:14 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Buzzito wrote:
Have you contacted the TFD administration?

Have you read this thread?

The whole point being made is that there IS no administration acting to enforce the forum rules.

All the people involved in this have (at some point) violated a rule or two - that's fairly normal, though unfortunate.

One or two (on both sides really) have gone WAY beyond 'a rule or two'.

It would be great if a moderator read over this whole political forum and suspended/banned the worst offenders.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 12:02:35 PM

Exactly!

Knowing that one CAN ignore all the rules is virtually giving a carte blanche to every member to behave badly. Which in turn attracts more people who feel free to behave badly.

(But Will, things could be worse - can you imagine how convos with Peter would have gone had he not been suspended for breaking Forum rules?)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 4:44:14 AM

Neurons: 176,780
I missed Peter - before my time.
However I remember his later reincarnations as Percy and ithink.

I quite enjoyed reading his stuff - but mainly because it was obvious that he simply enjoyed arguing. His arguments were (though sometimes rather spurious) often clever.
I think he even argued both sides of the same subject in different threads sometimes - just for the sake of disagreeing with someone.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:02:48 AM

Dear Friends:

Thank you for your telephone calls and your messages (via those other websites of which we are members).

1. YES

That poster went too far in desecrating the loving memory of my parents. I never thought that even he would go that far. He can never, ever be forgiven.

2. YES

His use of that word shows that he is prejudiced against children whose parents may not be married. That makes him a bigot.

3. YES

I have been waiting for him to reveal his true nature. He obliged me with that vulgar and hysterical post. I am especially eager for newer members and guests to read it so that they will have an idea of that poster's personality and character.

4. YES

The clique that dominates the "Politics" forum is becoming unhinged (witness his post) because they have failed (so far) to get an administrator to obey their orders to purge me.

5. YES

I have no doubt that an impartial group of moderators would agree that I have never made a "racist" remark.

My enemies here like to point out that I have stated (and repeat here) that I would be terrified to enter an elevator alone with teenaged or twentysomething males of a certain ethnicity, for it is a fact (that my enemies try to deny) that the ethnicity in question commits a percentage of violent crime way out of proportion to their percentage of the American population. I owe it to myself to take precautions to protect myself, even if I violate some politically correct mantra. Even people of that ethnicity express fear dealing with a sizeable proportion of their youth.

My enemies classify my elevator fears as "racist." That is, of course, their right. I do NOT consider it to be racist. And that is my right.

A moderator (or better a group of moderators) could decide if my comment falls under the heading of either "freedom of speech" or "hate speech."

What really is annoying is that I know (KNOW!!!) that many of my enemies would never allow their loved ones to enter that hypothetical elevator, yet in this forum, they crucify me for honestly confessing my fear.

6. YES

A self-righteous and hypocritical clique has made me their target because I say things that they cannot logically refute. Thus they scream "racist." They call themselves "liberals," but they are the opposite. Look at the censorship that is growing in the United States. It's OK to criticize Caucasians, but "liberals" go crazy if there is the slightest criticism of other ethnicities.

I consider it a BADGE OF HONOR that the poster and others of his ilk have targeted me.

(To the majority of members and guests) Have a nice day!

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:04:19 AM

Well, I guess that answers Tunaafi's question quite neatly.
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 7:27:58 AM

tunaafi wrote:
TheParser wrote:
I urge every member, guest, and administrator to read his post.

Here's a linK to the thread.
philips daughter
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:31:12 AM

Neurons: 43,583
So, no one would want to be near or be so fearful that if you saw anyone not of your pure white color they should be terrified. Well, I don’t know how I can bear to see myself in the mirror? You are race baiting. Be careful you don’t actually catch one.
will
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:31:34 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I missed Peter - before my time.
However I remember his later reincarnations as Percy and ithink.

I quite enjoyed reading his stuff - but mainly because it was obvious that he simply enjoyed arguing. His arguments were (though sometimes rather spurious) often clever.
I think he even argued both sides of the same subject in different threads sometimes - just for the sake of disagreeing with someone.

Over the years I received several private messages from Peter… I can assure you he was deadly serious in his beliefs, and full of indignant rage at being challenged on them. I’m certain any simultaneous arguing of two sides that you may have witnessed was due to incompetence in the fields of logic and reason rather than mischievous sport.

And, very much like TheParser, his spiral into antisocial behaviour stemmed from the inability to balance the freedom to vocalise entrenched beliefs and opinions in a public setting with the responsibility of defending said beliefs and opinions – or even moderating oneself to a level appropriate to the setting. God knows there are plenty of outlets, particularly on the internet, where the perpetuation of racial stereotyping is tolerated, or even welcomed. Thankfully this site isn’t, yet, one of them.

Some people seem to think that the ability to state an opinion automatically grants it some level of validity, and TheParser has added a whole new level. Signs of a deeper issue other than some politically incorrect old fart with nothing better to do with his time include:

1. Missives addressed to the US President (who, by all accounts, doesn’t read government security briefings, let alone TFD)

2. Directing comments at forum members via fictional third parties that only exist in TheParsers own mind

3. Referring to ‘certain’ forum members as if he were a character in a children’s book discussing Lord Voldemort or Sauron

a. Writing in lists instead of engaging in open dialogue.

At best he’s pulling off an elaborate joke at the forum’s expense. At worse he’s mentally unwell. Either way, nothing anyone says is going to make him stop, it’ll only make it worse.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:57:20 AM

Will,

I think Lottje was right: no-one is interested much in Parsar himself. But when he misinforms,speaks untruthfully, and misguides people, one can't remain silent. Despite it not starting off like this, TFD is now primarily a site for learners: and for ESL speakers Parsar's text-book X Reader's Digest sentences are clear and easy to read. He's a native speaker....so they have no reason to think he isn't telling the truth, or is mistaken, or just copies stuff out at random without bothering to check its provenance or veracity.

And as long as this site remains a source-site we still have to CARE about the truth. And the English language. One can't just sit back and watch people learning and/or absorbing, things that just are not real.

Another tactic would be simply to cut and paste each forum rule he is breaking each time he does so? No further comment needed.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:56:46 PM

Neurons: 5,715
Dennis Chen
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:19:37 PM

Neurons: 29,990
This is something that should be dealt with TFD administration, not us reading his post.
Romany
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 4:49:27 AM

SMAD -

Of course it is! Haven't you read the rest of the thread? There AREN'T any working moderators. That's why the entire site has deteriorated, people have left in droves, and the level of discourse is no longer academic but reminiscent of Primary School playground battles.

I mean really? Someone calls you a bastard and your defence is that your parents were married?

When have you ever heard that retort from anyone over 12 years old?
Absinthius
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 5:31:48 AM

Neurons: 23,886
Perhaps it is time to put this forum out of its misery, it is beyond saving at this point. Reading posts here has become a guilty pleasure, the constant bickering is midly entertaining but has no real educational value.

This site has some great people who have been fighting their hardest to keep a modicum of objectivity and rationality going, but let's face it.. The sheer volume of toxicity and ad hominem attacks drown out any civilized discourse that you try to uphold. It is honestly a bit heartbreaking to see people I genuinely respect stoop down to shocking lows and low-blows because of a webiste that moderators clearly can't even be bothered about.

Isn't it time that this site succombs to the exodus of rationality that we witness in many forums for discussion, e-based or otherwise?!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 7:18:11 AM

Neurons: 2,918,930
Oh goodness. I've been away a bit, and I'm glad I missed the major flare-up, but ... for all TheParser's "word/tidbit of the day," etc. to teach people about English, there's a huge huge contradiction here if The_Parser doesn't understand "bastard" is just a rude name and not an implication of someone's parentage. I mean, it's rarely used as the second. E.g. in South Park, "Oh my God! They killed Kenny! You bastards!"

I know in quick-chess games, if someone is surprised by a trick/crushing moves, someone says "you bastard." And that's in a "gentlemen's game." (OK, chess in a park maybe isn't, but it's a pretty common phrase.) Wouldn't it be easier to say, well, I know what it's come to mean, but it's a word that sets me off, and I hope you understand that?

Maybe Parser is now pretending to be a Russian troll who doesn't grasp connotation to, as was stated above, pull our chains.

I was so disappointed the admins fell down on banning Yarin when Yarin found the spamming loophole (posted 80 times, then came over and started spamming about Syria.) But it's happened again. Too bad.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 7:23:39 AM

Neurons: 47,556
Let's see what happens. Last night the TFD name was at the bottom of the thread, so perhaps an admin was reading it as I was glancing at it.

Andrew, you posted while I wrote. I had noticed Yarin has been gone for a while. Maybe he was kicked off?

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
will
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 7:38:58 AM

GO Pres. TRUMP!!

Oops, got caught in the moment. What I mean to say is, I agree with Absinthius; this site is a joke. I’m checking in less and less often and only in the same way as one picks at a scab. I regretted my post above almost immediately, the fact is I don’t really care. If arseholes like TheParser weren’t sat stewing over their laptops, they’d be out roaming our public spaces. Maybe Farlex are cleverly working for the greater good. Shhh

Most forums suffer sooner or later from a descent to the lowest common denominator. In the real world people are, on the whole, awesome. Get out and celebrate. Dancing

Hope123
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 8:11:48 AM

It is sad but I have to agree, Will and Absinthius, re the state of the forum.

But why should one person be allowed to ruin the Forum for all?

It used to be fun and full of humour. It was a place to learn about other points of view and particularly of other cultures. We all contributed bits of information about history and language without all the ad hominem attacks and empty catch-phrases. (a term Drago used in another thread re "Go Trump") We had great philosophical and psychological discussions.

Now many posters such as yourselves who really contributed are mostly gone. Epi, Tov, Maryam Dad, Progpen... I've thought many times about forgetting the nostalgia and stopping the effort to get it back (edited to add - through polite rational discourse and ignoring the taunts by considering the source.)

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Romany
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 8:25:25 AM

But Will....isn't it weary acceptance of the deterioration of social and cultural mores and of anti-social and totally unacceptable behaviour that produced a Trump? There's been a lot of talk on here about how the "liberals" (i.e. anyone who isn't Parsar) should accept complicity in the mess that is current Admin. But just letting the loonies take over the asylum and saying one doesn't care, surely gives carte blanche?

And hey, the man only has the support of less than a third of the country. They're a tiny minority. But if other, normal, Americans just give in and allow them to replace an entire community of book/word/language enthusiasts from their mild pleasures at discussion of matters in no way associated with them or their interests; then all of US would be complicit in the spread of misinformation, untruths, unacceptable levels of social discord, twisted logic; the unutterable insult of ignorance of any accepted norms of behaviour.

People keep throwing the quote around about the spread of evil only needing good people to stay silent - but it IS a truism demonstrated time after time throughout the history of humanity. We KNOW it's true. So to stay silent is tantamount to complicity. As it is in a court of law.

A British leader, trapped in a war which seemed, at that time, to be unwinnable, once growled: "We shall never surrender." And allowing lies, inhumanity, misinformation, disrespect, ignorance and jejune behaviour to stand, unchallenged, is surrendering to evil.
will
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 9:48:36 AM

I wasn’t advocating giving up on humanity!

I was simply pointing out that a handful of people being baited by an entrenched bigot in a tiny corner of the internet is nothing in the grand scale of things. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Speak to the hand

As you say, it’s tiny minorities; ‘normal’ people aren’t stupid and are able to weigh things for themselves, even foreign speakers. I’m willing to bet TheParser naturally moderates himself in the real world; snarky antagonistic people in the real world simply get ignored. If TheParser acted in his local library as he does here, his imaginary followers would get up and walk out. Society would not crumble as a result.

BTW. I should make it clear I was not stating that anyone is literally an excretory opening at the end of the alimentary canal… there is no need for another thread to clear that up.

will
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 9:50:31 AM

Hope123 wrote:
... Last night the TFD name was at the bottom of the thread...

I saw that. It was very exciting, like catching a glimpse of Santa.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 10:44:31 AM

will wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
... Last night the TFD name was at the bottom of the thread...

I saw that. It was very exciting, like catching a glimpse of Santa.

😀

::::

Edited - I now see Santa ate the cookies and drank the milk but left no gifts.

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 11:28:14 AM

Neurons: 2,918,930
Hope123 wrote:
Let's see what happens. Last night the TFD name was at the bottom of the thread, so perhaps an admin was reading it as I was glancing at it.

Andrew, you posted while I wrote. I had noticed Yarin has been gone for a while. Maybe he was kicked off?

It's possible, but it's also possible he just gave up. The thing is, a lot of provocateurs want reactions. Maybe he found where people accepted his ideas more, or where he was able to get more attention. I thought Yarin's leaving might encourage people to post more, but the problem is, once a social place is wrecked or blown up, it's hard to get it back together. The person who sucks up all the oxygen leaves, and suddenly people don't have a lot to talk about. Because the people who kept the place running don't check so much any more, or they themselves left.

I was hoping the forum would return to the levels it was at in, say, June of 2016--apparently it was even better before. Which is sad. But then all forums have that life cycle.

Nevertheless, if there are good posts, I want to try to respond to them and encourage them. I stumbled on this by accident and would've ignored it if not for the random "new posts" tab in the homepage. What I've seen has been interesting and a nice change of pace.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
March Hare
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 11:35:01 AM

Neurons: 1,591,278
will wrote:

BTW. I should make it clear I was not stating that anyone is literally an excretory opening at the end of the alimentary canal… there is no need for another thread to clear that up.

Are you sure? I'd love to see his defense on that one Angel