Dennis Chen
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 7:37:04 PM

Neurons: 11,074
Any weird rules you guys learned?

Proud sponsor of the Kutztown Middle School Jazz Band
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 1:03:08 AM

Neurons: 156,946
That no need to follow grammar when talking.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 2:09:39 AM

Neurons: 149,618
It's more like "When speaking, the grammar is different from the grammar of written English".

Most 'grammar books' concentrate on the grammar of formal and semi-formal English (and use the vocabulary of between forty and a hundred years ago!)

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:12:42 PM

Neurons: 40,153

I wouldn't quite agree with either of you.

Grammar - the basic underpinning to language - must exist for us to understand each other; whether speaking or writing. If we didn't know the basic order of Subject, verb, object we'd be talking gibberish.(shop I'm to come to going the want do you with?) If we didn't know how to make plurals we could make terrible errors....

So yes, we use that same basic grammar in spoken English - but we take shortcuts with words, and gesture, and expression and shared cultural references BECAUSE we all share the same grammatical underpinning of SVO that is the way we decode language. The bracketed sentence above - I'm going to the shop; do you want to come with me? - would be spoken with at least the final word ("me") left off. Various speakers and dialects would express it in even shorter ways down to a basic: "Shop.Coming?" - but would still be observing the conventions of grammar.

For example, people may say "Him and me are going to the movies." that is regarded as incorrect when testing English. However roughly approximated, it is still grammatically formed: "Him and me" (s) "are going" (v) "to the cinema" (o).

(The Oxford definition of grammar is:

noun. 1mass noun The whole system and structure of a language or of languages in general, usually taken as consisting of syntax and morphology (including inflections) and sometimes also phonology and semantics. ) ...
cheekyme
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:59:50 PM

Neurons: 9,785
[It] don't matter, instead of it doesn't ...

Ya wanna go?

I often come across grammatical inaccuracy in spoken English (especially those who tend to speak fast are particularly quality here, in my opinion. Also I have noticed that in different areas of the UK spoken English varies, and even though is not grammatically correct is often pleasing the ear.)

Some of them don't bother me at all, some make me cringe. Some of them I find more natural and, must admit, prefer to RP.

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ― Benjamin Franklin