The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

My EXPRESSION of the day Options
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 11:55:43 AM

Neurons: 53,498
almo 1 wrote:
Raul carried many things at once which exceeded his capacity.

So Mona said, "My dear friend, you are in over your head".

That is not natural in British English.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, November 06, 2017 12:32:00 PM

Neurons: 4,309
tunaafi wrote:
almo 1 wrote:
Raul carried many things at once which exceeded his capacity.

So Mona said, "My dear friend, you are in over your head".

That is not natural in British English.

Maybe that is Mona's style of saying regardless of BE or AE.

Or Mona was influenced by Robert Heinlein,
which is my impression,
though I am not an expert in Heinlein novels.

TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 6:05:10 AM

Neurons: 22,062
No. 49

Son: Should I marry Mona, Ruth, Betty, or Victoria? They all want me, of course!

Dad: Don't marry Ruth.

Son: Why not?

Dad: You know how she is.

Son: What do you mean?

Dad: She is always smiling, and she is always saying things like:

I love life, and life loves me.
I love everyone, and everyone loves me.
I never worry about anything because I know that everything will be OK.
If I lose my job, I will get a better one.
If I am sick and can't go to work, that means I can stay home and watch my favorite soap opera (daytime drama).
If it rains, that means I don't have to water my beautiful flowers. I can then spend more time cooking a delicious meal for my family.

Son: Oh, now I understand. Ruth is a Pollyanna.

Dad: That's right. If you marry her, she will drive you crazy!

Son: Thanks, Dad, for the advice.

Dad: That's what fathers are for!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 6:49:55 AM

Neurons: 39,999

The above is the most twisted and tortured explanation possible - and I find it difficult to believe Parsar is even serious.

Pollyanna was the name of a little girl in a book - as Parsar doesn't read books he probably doesn't know this. She'd had a hard life and so she played "The glad game". She tried to focus on the positive rather than the negative.

" In fact, Pollyanna's "glad game" is a perfectly sensible technique for finding happiness, a pursuit that has turned into a bona fide obsession in mainstream culture, academia, and policy circles over the last decade or so. " said "The Atlantic" on Feb.26, 2013.

Any father who would advise his son not to marry someone because they were an optimist would have to be rather sick mentally. The average parent wants only for their son/daughter to be happy.

As Pollyanna's author said: " "I have never believed that we ought to deny discomfort and pain and evil; I have merely thought that it is far better to 'greet the unknown with a cheer.'"

To consider this makes a person impossible to marry is difficult to get one's head around. It makes the world into a horrible, dark, sinister place to be if optimism in a partner would drive their spouse "crazy".
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2017 7:01:39 AM

Neurons: 296,258
Even I know Pollyanna principle ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna

But we all know that Parser, how humble he says he is, does not seem to know or care about such things.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 8:29:48 AM

No. 50

Mona: Do you like Mr. Smith?

Raul: No way! No one in our small town likes him. He owns the only grocery store in town. His prices are outrageously high. When we ask him to lower them, he laughs in our face(s).

Mona: Well, I have great news. We will soon have a chance to stick it to him!

Raul: Really? You mean we will soon have a chance to make things difficult for him?

Mona: That's right. I have just learned that someone is planning to open a nice market next year. It will have lower prices. We townsfolk can all patronize the new market. Mr. Smith will have to lower his prices or go out of business.

Raul: Sweet!
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 5:21:54 AM

No. 51

You young people may never use this expression, but you need to know it in case you occasionally hear or read it.

Back in the olden days, when you wanted to listen to music in your home, there was something called a record (a disc/disk) that you put on something called a record player.

Mona: Here is my list of guests for my party.

Raul (studies the list): Oh, no! Don't invite Ruth.

Mona: Why not?

Raul: Whenever she's in a group of people, all she does is repeat and repeat and repeat how much she dislikes her neighbors.

Mona: Yes, you're right. She does sound like a broken record, doesn't she! I'll cross her name off my list right now.

Raul: Smart decision.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 09, 2017 6:13:32 PM

Neurons: 149,215
TheParser wrote:
No. 51 all she does is repeat and repeat and repeat

Also sounds like the similarly-sourced expression "stuck in a groove"!

Which is not groovy! Dancing

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TheParser
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 5:36:20 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Which is not groovy!

Dear Young Learners:

That is what we young people in the 1960s used to say. "Groovy" was considered a really cool word!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:15:25 AM

Neurons: 296,258
Origin is in vinyl records which, if scratched, looped over the same recorded segment endlessly.
"tidii ta daa, click, tidii ta daa, click, tidii ta daa, click..."

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
TheParser
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 4:22:12 AM

No. 52

Tom: I represent all (of) the students in Mr. Smith's algebra class. We are not learning much because Mr. Smith does not seem to understand algebra himself.

Principal (head teacher/headmaster): I am aware of the situation. I have decided to dismiss Mr. Smith at the end of the current term.

Tom: Is there any chance of dismissing him now?

Principal: There are only four weeks left in this term. It would be unfair to Mr. Smith, to the new teacher, and to you students to change horses in midstream. ( = to change horses in the middle of a river.)

Tom: I understand, sir. With only four more weeks of this term, it would cause unnecessary confusion and hurt feelings if you were to dismiss Mr. Smith now. We students should be patient. In only four more weeks, we will have a new teacher.

Principal: You are a very intelligent young man.

Tom: And you, sir, are a very wise administrator.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2017 7:14:34 AM

No. 53

Raul (reading a letter): Oh my God!

Mona: What's wrong?

Raul: My company has fired me and 50 others. Business is bad. They enclosed my last check. I was told not to return on Monday.

Mona: I'm so sorry. I will see whether there are any openings at my place of work.

Raul: I'm going back to my company on Monday and speak with the manager. I'm going to remind him that I have never missed one day of work in ten years. Maybe he will give me back my job.

Mona: My dear friend, I am afraid that you are grasping at straws.

Raul: I know. Reminding him about my perfect record of coming to work every day will probably NOT make him change his mind. But I do not want to lose this job. I have to do something, don't I?
TheParser
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 5:30:05 AM

No. 54

MONDAY

At work, Joe walks by another employee's desk. That employee is not at his desk. Joe steals a little radio on the desk.

Mr. Smith, the manager, sees what Joe does, but Mr. Smith does not say or do anything.

WEDNESDAY

Joe walks by another employee's desk. That employee is not at her desk. Joe steals a watch that is lying on the desk.

Mr. Smith again does not say or do anything.

FRIDAY

Joe opens Raul's locker. Joe removes a nice jacket. Suddenly, Raul appears. Raul uses karate. Joe is quickly on the floor asking for mercy.

Mr. Smith smiles to himself and leaves.

Mr. Smith had remembered that saying Give him enough rope to hang himself. ( = If a bad person continues to do bad things, he will probably one day be punished.)
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:42:14 AM

No. 55

Manager: I'm sorry, but I have to let you go. Ten other employees say that you are verbally abusive to them.

Employee: Please don't fire me. I went to a psychiatrist yesterday. He gave me some medicine. I will never be verbally abusive again to anyone. I promise.

Manager: OK. I'll give you another chance. But remember: The proof is in the pudding.

Employee: What does that mean, sir?

Manager: I'm going to watch you carefully. If you actually stop verbally abusing other employees, then I will know that your medicine is working.

Employee: Thank you, sir.

Although many people say "The proof is in the pudding," the correct expression is "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 5:35:49 AM

No. 56

Mona: Want to come to the movies with me?

Betty: I can't. I want to log on to that new travel forum.

Mona: You have been spending a lot of time there recently.

Betty: Yes, I love that forum. I have just been posting there for a month, but I think that I have already made a friend for life. Her name is Ruth. I have the feeling that she is going to become my best friend -- after you, of course!

Mona: Of course!

Betty: I don't know the word to explain our friendship. There is a special connection. There is a spark. There is a rapport. She has traveled to 25 countries, and I have also visited most of those 25 countries; she was born in the state of Iowa, and so was I; and her No. 1 goal is to visit Tibet someday. That has been my goal since I was a little girl.

Mona: I would say that there is definite chemistry between you two.

Betty: Yes! Yes! That's the word!
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 11:49:21 AM

Neurons: 39,999

Once again, there may be a difference between AE and BE here, but "chemistry" has nothing to do with having things in common. Many people feel chemistry with someone who might be different to them in every way.

When people have "chemistry" between them, this is a reference to the natural hormones (or chemistry) of the human body. It's a very powerful bond between people because it has NOTHING to do with the others persons thoughts, ideas, personality...those are things that we pick up during the course of our lives and were not born with. Thus, it's purely a natural bonding of one persons hormones (and things they were born with) with another i.e. it's a chemical reaction and is visceral, not intellectual.