The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

onomatopoeia #1 Options
D00M
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 9:28:51 AM

Neurons: 3,670
Hello respected teachers,

Are my answers to the following questions correct? There may be more than one correct answer for each question, so I need to learn all the possible answers that native speakers may use in the given context.

Fill in blanks with words from the following list.

Roar, hum, twitter, rattle, rasp, whistle, swish, whir, zip, rumble, zoom, hiss, flop, thump, thud, gurgle, splash, ping, whoosh, patter, chirr, racket, babble, moan, tinkle, barking, click, whack, coo, gabble, jingle, sizzle, plop, hubbub, chirp, groan, howling, scream, murmur, whine,rustle, flutter, buzz, wheeze.

1. The splash of rain on the window.
2. The patter of rain on dry leaves.
3. The chirp of a sparrow.
4. The click of a key in lock.
5. The sizzle of frying meat.
6. The rumble of thunder.
7. The moan of pain.
8. The zoom of plain.
9. The ping of small bells.
10. The gabble of fretful baby.
11. The scream of a delightful baby.
12. The flop of wet clothes.

Next part here: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm1007578_onomatopoeia-2.aspx

I am looking forward to your answers.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:18:42 AM

Neurons: 43,957
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Are my answers to the following questions correct? There may be more than one correct answer for each question, so I need to learn all the possible answers that native speakers may use in the given context.

Roar, hum, twitter, rattle, rasp, whistle, swish, whir, zip, rumble, zoom, hiss, flop, thump, thud, gurgle, splash, ping, whoosh, patter, chirr, racket, babble, moan, tinkle, barking, click, whack, coo, gabble, jingle, sizzle, plop, hubbub, chirp, groan, howling, scream, murmur, whine,rustle, flutter, buzz, wheeze.

1. The splash (patter is often used also) of rain on the window.
2. The patter of rain on dry leaves.
4. The click of a key in lock.
7. The moan of pain.
8. The zoom of plain. This one makes no sense. A "plain" can't zoom, and I see no word that fits it.
9. The ping jingle/tinkle of small bells.
10. The gabble scream of fretful baby. Fretful babies scream or cry.
11. The scream coo/babble/gabble of a delightful baby.
12. The flop or plop of wet clothes.

Next part here: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postsm1007578_onomatopoeia-2.aspx

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:29:06 AM

Neurons: 149,215
I'll leave your answer and add some possibilities (or explain why I don't like your answer Anxious )

Roar, hum, twitter, rattle, rasp, whistle, swish, whir, zip, rumble, zoom, hiss, flop, thump, thud, gurgle, splash, ping, whoosh, patter, chirr, racket, babble, moan, tinkle, barking, click, whack, coo, gabble, jingle, sizzle, plop, hubbub, chirp, groan, howling, scream, murmur, whine, rustle, flutter, buzz, wheeze.

1. The splash of rain on the window.
I suppose it depends on how heavily it is raining. "patter" is often used when the rain is in large drops, but not being blown hard.
"Racket" could fit if it's very noisy (but is not really onomatopoeic).
2. The patter of rain on dry leaves. Could also be 'rattle' or 'rustle' if the leaves are still very dry. it depends on how many raindrops per second you can hear . . .
4. The click of a key in the lock.
This could also be 'rattle' (the noise of the key going into the lock, rather than the sound of it turning) or 'rasp' if the lock needs to be lubricated.
This is OK for thunder in the distance - often you hear of a crash of thunder (one single short noise).
7. The moan of pain. It depends on the person. Roar, hiss, groan, howling, scream, whine could all be used to describe different sounds people make when they are in pain, though I think that 'groan', 'moan' and 'scream' are the most common.
8. The zoom of plain. I think that you mean 'plane' (aeroplane) here. Again, it depends on size and type. A jet-plane roars or howls or sometimes whines. A glider might 'swish' or 'whoosh' if it is close to you. An old silk-and-balsa plane might even rattle.
9. The ping of small bells. You may hear one 'ping' from one small bell, but 'small bells' (plural) tinkle.
10. The gabble of fretful baby. A fretful baby is unhappy or uncomfortable - they scream, whine and/or howl.
11. The scream of a delightful baby. A delightful baby is happy (babies are not delightful when they are unhappy) so 'gurgle', 'gabble', 'babble' or even 'coo' fit here.
12. The flop of wet clothes. It's OK, but I would expect 'plop'.

The only ones that I'd say were wrong are 9, 10 and 11.
"Ping" is not bad, but singular, whereas 'tinkle' is lots of 'pings' in an almost-continuous sound.
You don't have a baby, I assume?

There are other words you might use in some of these, but I have used the ones on your list.

EDITED to add:
I was slow . . . but we seem to agree.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Eoin Riedy
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 11:44:58 AM

Neurons: 844
I just fried some bacon. It hissed at me.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, November 11, 2017 12:19:34 PM

Neurons: 149,215
I hate it when it spits hot fat . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!