The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Unlocking the bootloader is one of the key components to being/be able to install.. Options
A cooperator
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 5:35:46 PM

Neurons: 8,463
Hi Everyone!

Why is 'being' underlined below used as a non-finite verb in the -ing participle form of 'be' here? I think it is incorrect to use the continuous form(present participle) of the verb 'be' there. I think using the infinitive verb 'to be' would be the correct one.

The majority of smartphone manufacturers lock the bootloader by default allowing only the loading of their own firmware or UI and preventing the installation of custom ROMs, such as CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android. As such, unlocking the bootloader is one of the key components to being able to install these custom ROMs on your device and we’ll show you how you can accomplish this across a few of the more popular smartphone manufacturers.

On the other hand, we can use 'being' here below since after some prepositions, such as 'before', from, etc, we must use the -ing participle form of a verb.
All of the listed methods require you to first have root access to your device before being able to unlock the bootloader.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Audiendus
Posted: Friday, November 10, 2017 7:36:40 PM

Neurons: 790,786
A cooperator wrote:
The majority of smartphone manufacturers lock the bootloader by default allowing only the loading of their own firmware or UI and preventing the installation of custom ROMs, such as CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android. As such, unlocking the bootloader is one of the key components to being able to install these custom ROMs on your device and we’ll show you how you can accomplish this across a few of the more popular smartphone manufacturers.

On the other hand, we can use 'being' [in some sentences] since after some prepositions, such as 'before', from, etc, we must use the -ing participle form of a verb.

Your quoted sentence comes into this category. In "one of the key components to being able to install", "being" is a gerund after the preposition "to". "Being able to install..." is a noun phrase. It is equivalent to "one of the key components to the ability to install...".

Similar examples:

Hard study is the key to learning English.
She trains regularly with a view to being the best.
Taking the drug is preferable to being ill.
A cooperator
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 5:11:24 PM

Neurons: 8,463
Audiendus wrote:
A cooperator wrote:

On the other hand, we can use 'being' [in some sentences] since after some prepositions, such as 'before', from, etc, we must use the -ing participle form of a verb.

Your quoted sentence comes into this category. In "one of the key components to being able to install", "being" is a gerund after the preposition "to". "Being able to install..." is a noun phrase. It is equivalent to "one of the key components to the ability to install...".

Similar examples:

Hard study is the key to learning English.
She trains regularly with a view to being the best.
Taking the drug is preferable to being ill.

Thanks a lot, Audiendus,
But in some other sentences, I see the preposition 'to' is not followed by a gerund, however, is followed by an infinitive.
So, I get confused with some prepositions followed by a gerund in some sentences, and followed by an infinitive in some other sentences.

Also, "Is being a drug addict a disease?" I think 'being' is a gerund here.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2017 9:43:15 PM

Neurons: 790,786
A cooperator wrote:
But in some other sentences, I see the preposition 'to' is not followed by a gerund, however, is followed by an infinitive.
So, I get confused with some prepositions followed by a gerund in some sentences, and followed by an infinitive in some other sentences.

If the "to" is part of a noun phrase, use the infinitive. If the "to" precedes a noun phrase but is not part of it (i.e. if the "to" begins a prepositional phrase), use the gerund.

He hates to show off. ["To show off" is a noun phrase, the object of "hates".]
He has an aversion to showing off. ["Showing off" is a noun phrase introduced by the preposition "to".]

A cooperator wrote:
Also, "Is being a drug addict a disease?" I think 'being' is a gerund here.

Yes.