The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

missile Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:10:23 AM

Neurons: 4,507
Quote:
Ten feet below, in the wine cellar, Butler hefted two bottles of Macallan 1926 Fine and Rare whiskey.

“Your father will not be pleased,” he said to Artemis. “This is thirty thousand euros per missile.”

-The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)

Butler and Artemis are talking about wine. Why did they suddenly talk about missiles, of all things?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:21:17 AM

Neurons: 4,708
vkhu wrote:
Quote:
Ten feet below, in the wine cellar, Butler hefted two bottles of Macallan 1926 Fine and Rare whiskey.

“Your father will not be pleased,” he said to Artemis. “This is thirty thousand euros per missile.”

-The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)

Butler and Artemis are talking about wine. Why did they suddenly talk about missiles, of all things?

They are not talking about wine, they are talking about whiskey.

Wine is an alcoholic beverage made by fermenting fruit juice, whiskey is made by fermenting a grain and then distilling the liquid produced to increase the alcohol content.

I think the term missile is used as an alternative to shot.
Strong forms of alcohol are served in small amounts sometimes known as a shot, there are specific "shot glasses" you can buy (although Imwould not use them a proper whiskey tumbler allows the aromas to develop this improves the flavour).

A missile is similar to something that is shot, so instead of a shot of whiskey he talks of a missile.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:24:12 AM

Neurons: 63,686
Either that or he is about to throw it at him. Whistle
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:49:12 AM

Neurons: 4,708
thar wrote:

Now go and wash your mouth out with soap, that's a waste of fine whiskey.Shame on you

Although those must be big shots the butler is thinking of pouring a Macallan 1926 is about $75000 a bottle, thirty thousand Euros is about half of one.

Okay yes we do need yeti adjust for inflation a bit, but still.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
taurine
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:52:54 AM

Neurons: 51,746
If you take a look at Macallan 50 Years Old Scotch there is a substantial possibility that the bottle would be inside of a wooden box. Some of those boxes containing aged Scotch are opening at the upper part of it in vertical position, while other might be opening in more traditional way in horizontal position.
It is possible to imagine even before opening the bottle that it looks like a missile hidden inside of a box.

After a bottle of wine consumed it seems to be even more probable.

I know it from the research done on the Internet and from various books giving me theoretical knowledge, only.
vkhu
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:54:25 AM

Neurons: 4,507
thar wrote:

And what do you know, that's exactly what he did, 2 paragraphs down.
Romany
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 11:54:46 AM

Neurons: 40,153

I was about to come in and say that, once again, instead of stopping and worryinging about one particular word that seem misplaced, it's better to read on.

This is how Literature works. A skilled writer (and this is written by a skilled writer, as you know) will deliberately put in words or phrases things that make you think "Wotha?". It's merely to tease us into reading on. To keep us alert to what's coming next (Oh-oh - "missiles?" is he going to use it, or drink it?" That's the reason we keep reading to the end - to see what surprises the writer has in store for us.

If he just said." 'Here is a bottle of fine whiskey. So desperate is my plight I am prepared to waste it by throwing it/ slinging it/ bashing you over the head with it.' And then he did so." It's just a narrative. By making us stop and think, it's literature.
snafu22q
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 12:26:24 PM

Neurons: 10,603
Is there any chance the missile reference is speaking of the bottle? That was my first inclination...I mean, some bottles look like a missile.

But I defer to the other responses - simply because I've never heard the term 'missile' refer to shots, doesn't mean it isn't true, despite my considerable time in bars/pubs over the years - both as a bartender and a customer. :)

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold. - Hunter S. Thompson
Romany
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 12:49:02 PM

Neurons: 40,153
Snafu - go back and read what Vk says in the post above mine.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2017 4:39:38 AM

Neurons: 298,526
You can always fill your rocket bomb glass with good whisky, vodka, or whatever you prefer ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.