The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What does the bold part mean? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2017 7:59:24 PM

Neurons: 10,838
When the politicians made it their responsibility to defend fare “adjustments” in Parliament, change the model to gain more direct oversight and control of the infrastructure and operations, disburse hundreds of millions to upgrade infrastructure and catch up on badly neglected maintenance, it is not political? LUKE WONG (The writer is a Singaporean.)

Could someone please explain to me what the bold part means? Thanks.
thar
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 4:08:47 AM

Neurons: 63,686
I am assuming this is to do with some kind of rail transport. If it is something else, just apply the same ideas to whatever it is about.

The model is the way things are organised, set up. The system. Ie one model could be that the government controls everything, but another model could be there is a completely independent private operator. Most models are somewhere in the middle between the two extremes, depending on the political leaning of each individual country.

Politicians changed (or tried to change) the model. They want to have more oversight over the infrastructure (the physical things- tracks, signals, stations, bridges...)
And the operations - how things are done - how it is managed, who makes decisions, what routes are run, with what trains, how often, manning levels, etc etc.

They want more oversight, - transparency and regulation. They want to oversee it, not just give out the money. If they are going to give out all this money to pay for new infrastructure, they want to see how it is being spent and what service it is producing. Sounds reasonable to me.

Ie, they want more more control over the whole system. Not just 'fare adjustments' - whatever that means - sounds like a euphemism to me. Since when were fares ever adjusted downwards? Whistle
Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2017 9:49:40 AM

Neurons: 10,838
Thanks, thar.

You're right. It is about the MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) in Singapore.