The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

or and Options
D00M
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 6:30:26 AM

Neurons: 3,918
Hello respected teachers,

Each of these can be considered as an individual, separable item, which means that we are able to count them with numbers—we can have one, two, five, 15, 100, and so on. We can also use them with the indefinite articles a and/or an (which signify a single person or thing) or with the plural form of the noun.

What is the difference between 'and' and 'or' in the above? How would they change the meaning?

I am looking forward to your answers.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 6:54:11 AM

Neurons: 306,717
In this context using and or or changes anything. It's up to the next word whether to use a or an.
The reader should understand not to use both a and and.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
NKM
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 12:22:46 PM

Neurons: 192,114
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Each of these can be considered as an individual, separable item, which means that we are able to count them with numbers—we can have one, two, five, 15, 100, and so on. We can also use them with the indefinite articles a and/or an (which signify a single person or thing) or with the plural form of the noun.

What is the difference between 'and' and 'or' in the above? How would they change the meaning?
══════════════════════════════════════════════

The only real difference, I suppose, is that "or" would feel a bit strange after the plural form "articles".

I think I'd have written it as "… with the indefinite article a or an (to signify …".