The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Forming Compound Words with Prefixes Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 66,738
Forming Compound Words with Prefixes

A prefix attaches to the beginning of a word (known as the "root" or "stem word") to change its meaning. While the vast majority of prefixes don't require a hyphen when they are attached to the root, in what situation is it helpful to use a hyphen between the prefix and the stem word? More...
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 6:03:30 AM

Neurons: 82,954
Hyphens
What is a hyphen?
A hyphen ( - ) is used primarily to join two or more words to form a new, compound word or to provide clarity when using certain affixes (such as prefixes). Hyphens also have certain technical uses, such as indicating a range of numbers or combining multiple sets of numbers together into a single unit (as is often done with telephone numbers).
Because a hyphen unites multiple things into a single element, we do not put spaces on either side of it (except in one specific circumstance known as a hanging hyphen, which we’ll discuss later on).
Forming compound words
The most common use for the hyphen is to join multiple words to create compound words. These can be compound adjectives, compound nouns, and compound numbers.
Compound adjectives
A compound adjective (also known as a compound modifier or a phrasal adjective) is created by two or more words that work jointly to modify the same noun. They can be composed of various combinations of adjectives, nouns, quantifiers, and participles, with a hyphen appearing between each word that is used.
Adjective + Adjective

“Look in the top-right corner of the screen.”
“She had bright, blue-green eyes.”
“I need you to print 20 black-and-white copies of the contract.”

Adjective + Noun

“They went on a wild-goose chase.”
“I can only find part-time work at the moment.”
“Do you have any sugar-free cookies?”

Noun + Noun
We usually join two nouns with the conjunction and to make them into a compound adjective.

“I find her salt-and-pepper hair very attractive.”

with my pleasure