The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I'm not a bit changed—not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real me—back here—is just the same. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,181
I'm not a bit changed—not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real me—back here—is just the same.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)
raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 6:06:36 AM

Neurons: 49,569

L. M. Montgomery
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Montgomery, L. M. (Lucy Maud Montgomery), 1874–1942, Canadian novelist, b. Prince Edward Island. Her first novel, Anne of Green Gables (1908), met with immediate success and has been widely translated. Anne Shirley, the novel's heroine, is a spirited, witty young girl with red hair and a wild imagination. The novel's sequels include Anne of Avonlea (1909), Chronicles of Avonlea (1912), Anne of the Island (1915), and Anne's House of Dreams (1917). In all, she wrote 20 novels, nearly all of which are set in her native province, and some 500 short stories and poems.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/

Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.

with my pleasure
monamagda
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 7:46:06 AM

Neurons: 3,627,821
Context from : Anne of the Green Gables

Chapter XXXIV

A Queen's Girl

"No, I wasn't crying over your piece," said Marilla, who would have scorned to be betrayed into such weakness by any poetry stuff. "I just couldn't help thinking of the little girl you used to be, Anne. And I was wishing you could have stayed a little girl, even with all your queer ways. You've grown up now and you're going away; and you look so tall and stylish and so--so--different altogether in that dress--as if you didn't belong in Avonlea at all-- and I just got lonesome thinking it all over."

"Marilla!" Anne sat down on Marilla's gingham lap, took Marilla's lined face between her hands, and looked gravely and tenderly into Marilla's eyes. "I'm not a bit changed-- not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real me--back here--is just the same. It won't make a bit of difference where I go or how much I change outwardly; at heart I shall always be your little Anne, who will love you and Matthew and dear Green Gables more and better every day of her life."

Anne laid her fresh young cheek against Marilla's faded one, and reached out a hand to pat Matthew's shoulder. Marilla would have given much just then to have possessed Anne's power of putting her feelings into words; but nature and habit had willed it otherwise, and she could only put her arms close about her girl and hold her tenderly to her heart, wishing that she need never let her go.

Read more : https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/anne-XXXIV.html

Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:43:32 AM

Neurons: 126,811
Daemon wrote:
I'm not a bit changed—not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real me—back here—is just the same.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)

Is it really so bad – to be changed a bit?