The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Raghda Syrian actress cut her hair and scattered it in Aleppo's Saadallah Al-Jabiri Square. Options
Yarin
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2017 5:26:36 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
Raghda said before: My hair bothers me a lot, but I vow to keep it and to cut and scatter it in Aleppo's Saadallah Al-Jabiri Square only when the last terrorist leaves, along with the last takfirist, the last Muslim Brotherhood member, and the last Salafi, sponsored by we all know which countries in the region and elsewhere ( She, of course meant the US criminal regime, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and others). I am taking this oath here in public: I shall keep this hair, and then I shall cut it and throw it there. When it all started, I declared that I supported the unity of Syria and the state. I declared this at Saadallah Al-Jabiri Square. I hereby take an oath to return there. Aleppo will prevail. It does not need anyone to pretend to be weeping over it, because it produces real men......If Bashar Al-Assad resigns, I will accuse him of treason.




Raghda at Saadallah Al-Jabiri Square. Aleppo

FSA kidnapped the father of the Syrian actress and the pro-regime activist Raghda. The elderly man has been forgetful for the last 11 years, and he's sick.
Actress Raghda said the kidnappers had asked her to change her political position & for a ransom in order to release her father. Raghda said she won't be blackmailed, if they wanna kill him, then they should do it. Make him into a witness of their crimes.

Raghda had previously received a video of the dismembering of her best friend while the murderers FSA shouted "Allah Akbar". She said that FSA won't break her and she would stand with any army, any government, even dictators against Wahabis.


Yarin
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:39:56 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
Christians in Aleppo, Syria celebrate Easter for first time since Assad liberated city from Al Qaeda (Video)

Life under Assad…freedom to practice your religion of choice. A secular society. Women with equal rights. This is the life that the United States is trying to destroy, as it continues to support ISIS and Al Qaeda.

Rest assured, that if the US had its way, and Al Qaeda – ISIS was in control of Aleppo, Easter service (as seen in the video below) would not be taking place.

We are certain that not one western media outlet will play the below video of Christians celebrating Easter in a liberated Aleppo, because it would destroy the entire “Assad must go” narrative.

Syria: Hundreds of Christian worshippers attended Good Friday mass in St. Elijah Cathedral in Aleppo, Friday to mark the beginning of Easter. The Cathedral named after Elijah the prophet was built it 1873 in the Christian district of Aleppo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZIAfKed4v0&feature=youtu.be

http://theduran.com/christians-in-aleppo-syria-celebrate-easter-for-the-first-time-since-assad-liberated-the-city-from-isis-al-qaeda/
Yarin
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:45:50 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
Despite all the money and arms of the USA from McCain, Obama, Clinton and now Trump. Praise God!
Yarin
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2017 2:04:49 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
VIDEO: Carla Ortiz delivers powerful speech about Syria to the United Nations



The following is a transcript of Carla Ortiz’s speech.

Good Morning to all the official members and attendees of this conference. My name is Carla Ortiz and I am a film maker. It is an honor to be in your presence and have few minutes to share my testimony.
We all know of the horrific stories and war in Syria, But YET we have THE CHOICE TO TURN THE NEWS OFF OR PUT THE PAPER DOWN to get on with our lives.

I went to Syria because after I turned off the TV I could not turn those images off my head thinking that Syrians don’t have that luxury. I needed to do something so I decided to go there and document myself!

Once in Syria I walked 75% of the country with my team! I saw with my eyes dozens of neighborhoods transformed into ghost cities. I experienced the deadly silence of its empty streets. I dined with a family without knowing it will be their last meal. I drank coffee in homes that no longer had a roof, but their hearts were still full of hope and generosity! Thanking the presence of a westerner in their land. They would even give me their last loaf of bread they had as a meal for their week.

YOU NEED TO know that they are still waiting for us to do the right thing!! From the child in Palmyra that was forced by a terrorist to kill his own people in order to save what was left of his family. To the 14 years old girl that saw her mom being rape several times after her younger sister was taken by these groups for sacred Jihad. They still hope THAT WE WILL for once decide to help them as human beings.

I SAW THE FACE OF TERROR AND WHAT IT DOES TO A CHILD AND A WOMEN before she even becomes one. Do you know what sounds like THE cry of a little boy that HAS JUST testified the murder of his parents? Well, I know what it sounds like and every Syrian knows THIS as well. I have held in my arms mothers crying the death of hundreds of children after a terrorist attack! I had to walk on top of their body pieces left on the ground and leave that child crying that wont let go of my hand.

So? Why are we deaf? How many more conferences do we need to have to understand that our policies and actions have been ineffective. Why is still more important to topple a government than to put an end to terrorism?

Let me tell you that there is a real opposition inside and outside of Syria, but they don’t carry weapons. They don’t want more blood. I spoke with some rebels who told me that they have been absorbed by the strongest forces. Terrorists groups like Al-Qaeda, Al-Nusra and ISIS. We should already know that every time we allow to send weapons to the rebels most of the time they end up in hands of these forces.

So my question is DO WE REALLY CARE FOR THE SYRIANS OR IS THAT WE ARE only LOOKING TO OUR POLITICAL and diplomatic INTERESTS? The UNITED NATIONS is the government of the people regardless of its size or importance in the economic world of powers. So why we have been so ineffective? Why are we not listening to THE VOICES OF SYRIANS?

I was on the front lines on the last days in the BATTLE OF ALEPPO. I spoke to the people that saw the end of a 4-year endless war. I was there during the evacuation and most of the news you heard were inaccurate and sometimes false. The passage for civilians was guarded by the Syrian Army. The ones sniping against civilians were the armed rebels.

Later they were put in green buses and transported to built shelters. Others search to be reunited with their families. The confrontation and bombing was between the army and those armed militants who decided to stay to fight the battle. I don’t doubt that among them there were many freedom fighters, but many of the jihadists hold their own families as human shields in the east side of Aleppo where their own children resulted in casualties. Being these children also deprive to have a choice?

So, WHY ARE WE NOT LISTENING TO THEIR TESTIMONIES instead of NGO’s and media with no presence on the ground reporting based on the testimony of activists that today appear friendly with terrorist groups. We keep talking about the so call “White Helmets” in the west as heroes, when the people of Aleppo didn’t even know them by this name. They told me those people in the pictures I showed them were “DAESH.”
Confirming in a later report of Vanessa Beeley who was also on the ground at the same time, that they were the civil defense of Al-Nusra. Today plenty of this evidence is available to us from civilians.

This 10th of march the SWEDISH DOCTORS FOR HUMAN RIGHTS provided evidence (swedhr) confirming “FAKE LIVE SAVING AND MALPRACTIZES ON CHILDREN after analyzing the White Helmet video facilitated to the UN Security Consul deciding later on a No Flight zone in Syria.

There are thousands of Civilians that are aiding daily the injured and fallen regardless of political or religious views whether they are in a rebel or government area. In fact, every single Syrian feels responsible for the life of their fellow brother and sister.

About the Women in Syria, you must know that as they are freed from rebel held areas are grateful that they will not be forced onto the sharia law. Grateful that they can decide now if they cover or not themselves because they feel they have their rights back and know that their daughters will have also the right for education.

Maybe to our eyes their government is not a perfect one. But who are we to leave the destiny of these country in the hands of terror as we did in Iraq and Libya. This morning at breakfast I was served by 3 Syrians, I asked them if they were happy in Beirut and they told me: NO one is happy away from home!

I have spoken to Syrian Refugees in different parts of the world and believe me when I tell you that they can’t wait to be back in their country. The refugee crisis is one of the largest and most eminent crisis of our times and it can be solved by ending these war! Not tomorrow but now!

That face of that Syrian child that you have seen in the news or the internet THAT CHILD holds the story of a broken soul abandoned by you and me and in their eyes you can see thousands of little eyes that our mistakes have deprive them of living their dream in a country that through thousands of years has only given us immense an irreplaceable heritage to humanity, our culture, spirit, science and history.

You MUST KNOW that that these people refer to THEIR Syria as their MOTHER and they have a clear understanding that she is being hurt and destroyed. They will keep defending her while she “Her Mother” is breathing. They will never kneel to terrorism nor to any kind of religious extremism because it is inclusion what makes this country great!

So I stand here today as an American citizen, born in Bolivia with an adopted Syrian soul to help them defeat this terror that is slowly coming to our countries. We must review the sanctions we have imposed on the country because it is only hurting its people. They still have faith on us doing the right thing. I beg you to consider the changes we must make to secure peace in Syria, the preservation of their youngest generation and the safe return of its people.
Yarin
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2017 5:19:18 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
Behind the Sudden Death of a $1 Billion Secret C.I.A. War in Syria


In the summer of 2012, David H. Petraeus, who was then C.I.A. director, first proposed a covert program of arming and training rebels as Syrian government forces bore down on them.

Charles Lister, a Syria expert at the Middle East Institute, said he was not surprised that the Trump administration ended the program, which armed and trained thousands of Syrian rebels. (By comparison, a $500 million Pentagon program that envisioned training and equipping 15,000 Syrian rebels over three years, was canceled in 2015 after producing only a few dozen fighters.)
Once C.I.A.-trained fighters crossed into Syria, C.I.A. officers had difficulty controlling them. The fact that some of their C.I.A. weapons ended up with Nusra Front fighters — and that some of the rebels joined the group — confirmed the fears of many in the Obama administration when the program began. Although the Nusra Front was widely seen as an effective fighting force against Mr. Assad’s troops, its Qaeda affiliation made it impossible for the Obama administration to provide direct support for the group.

American intelligence officials estimate that the Nusra Front now has as many 20,000 fighters in Syria, making it Al Qaeda’s largest affiliate. Unlike other Qaeda affiliates such as Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the Nusra Front has long focused on battling the Syrian government rather than plotting terrorist attacks against the United States and Europe.

In the summer of 2012, David H. Petraeus, who was then C.I.A. director, first proposed a covert program of arming and training rebels as Syrian government forces bore down on them.

The proposal forced a debate inside the Obama administration, with some of Mr. Obama’s top aides arguing that Syria’s chaotic battlefield would make it nearly impossible to ensure that weapons provided by the C.I.A. could be kept out of the hands of militant groups like the Nusra Front. Mr. Obama rejected the plan.

But he changed his mind the following year, signing a presidential finding authorizing the C.I.A. to covertly arm and train small groups of rebels at bases in Jordan. The president’s reversal came in part because of intense lobbying by foreign leaders, including King Abdullah II of Jordan and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel, who argued that the United States should take a more active role in trying to end the conflict.
Yarin
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 6:47:51 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
EGYPTIAN ACTRESS ILHAM SHASHEEN EXPRESSED SOME OPINIONS ON SYRIA

EGYPTIAN ACTRESS ILHAM SHASHEEN EXPRESSED SOME OPINIONS ON SYRIA
Yarin
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:37:58 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
President al-Assad: Syria is a homogeneous country; Christians are the basis of homeland.


Damascus, SANA- President Bashar al-Assad received on Sunday participants in “the general assembly for the Syriac Youth in Syria 2017” in the presence of Patriarch of Antioch and All the East for Syriac Orthodox Mor Ignatius Aphrem II and a number of patriarchs.

During the meeting, discussions centered on the role of the youth generations in building the future of Syria and the importance of boosting dialogue that will be consolidated by such meetings.

The meeting also dealt with the necessity of the Christian existence in Syria, in general, and the Syriac presence, in particular, as they are a basic element in the Syrian national structure with assertion on their deeply-rooted role in the face of the continued displacement attempts they have encountered by terrorism and its supporters.

President al-Assad affirmed that such forums send a clear message to the inside and outside that the Christians are not guests or emigrant birds, but they are the basis of the homeland’s existence, and without them, there is no existence for the diverse Syria that we know, at the same time, the Christians without Syria have no land or existence for them.

The President said that the power of the Oriental Christians comes from their living with other religions in our region, and in Syria, for centuries, as Syria is a homogeneous country, a thing that made some sides target Christianity in our region in order to disturb this harmony and divide the region into religious and sectarian states in order to legalize the existence of the Jewish state in the occupied Palestine, a matter that will not be accepted by any Syrian.

President al-Assad added that the failure of attempts to exert pressure on the Christians pushed our enemies to target them through targeting Islam by extremism, in a bid to produce an extremist mentality that can never live with any other that doesn’t adopt the same mentality, but we, as Syrians, have not and will never allow anyone to sabotage our country by his underdevelopment or his limited vision.

Patriarch Aphrem II, for his part, affirmed that one of the main targets of the Assembly is to boost dialogue among different spectrums of the Syrian society and face the propaganda marketed by enemies of Syria that what is going on in the country is “a civil war,” adding that Christians in Syria are committed to their land.

The youth participants talked about a number of issues which focused on the situation in Syria and the role of the youth in boosting it steadfastness.




http://sana.sy/en/?p=114043

whatson
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 8:22:51 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/19/2016
Posts: 279
Neurons: 2,389
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yarin! You are still around! And I thought you found a new pastime.

Did you take the pictures?

If I were a lame 'un, I wouldn't advertise it.
Yarin
Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:21:16 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
Whatson wrote:

Yarin! You are still around! And I thought you found a new pastime.

Did you take the pictures?



Yes excaelis, I'm not influenced by any low insulter and also I'm not influenced by any terrorist.
Did you expect that your insults (the old ones and the new ones) would make me go?


almo 1
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 2:57:11 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 1,026
Neurons: 4,633
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan
Yarin wrote:


Yes excaelis,











What?!






Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:10:01 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 40,028
Neurons: 307,814
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
I think Yarin thinks whatson is an incarnation of excaelis.


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
almo 1
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:47:43 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 1,026
Neurons: 4,633
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan




I'm curious what makes Yarin think whatson is an incarnation of excaelis.




TheParser
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 11:07:11 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2012
Posts: 4,674
Neurons: 22,062
Yarin wrote:

Did you expect that your insults (the old ones and the new ones) would make me go?





Yarin:

Don't pay attention to that individual's insults. (He should pay attention to his own country's growing immigration problems!)

As you know a group of blowhards are constantly trying to make me go away.

If I do, it will be because the administrators kicked me out, or because personal matters made me lose interest.

I certainly will never let those clowns, especially a certain whining, Johnny-One-Note female, drive me away.

Stay in there!

tunaafi
Posted: Sunday, October 01, 2017 11:14:47 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,453
Neurons: 53,498
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
TheParser wrote:

blowhards
clowns
whining female

This from a man who makes so much of being courteous!
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 2:26:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/7/2015
Posts: 407
Neurons: 897,510
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
tunaafi wrote:
TheParser wrote:

blowhards
clowns
whining female

This from a man who makes so much of being courteous!


And demure! You forgot demure!

The_Parser's Uriah Heep act is ... interesting.

But re: Yarin, this is all even odder.

Excaelis last visited the forum March 23, 2015. http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/profile615814.aspx

Yarin joined July 2016.

Unless Yarin was banned and rejoined (2015 would be before my time I was active here), why would Yarin even know of excaelis or have any history with excaelis? And in any case, isn't 2 1/2 years a long time to be thinking about a person? I mean, we've all done it, but this seems out of the blue for several reasons.

I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Yarin
Posted: Monday, October 02, 2017 8:00:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/30/2016
Posts: 481
Neurons: 2,432
Andrew Schultz wrote:


But re: Yarin, this is all even odder.

Excaelis last visited the forum March 23, 2015. http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/profile615814.aspx

Yarin joined July 2016.

Unless Yarin was banned and rejoined (2015 would be before my time I was active here), why would Yarin even know of excaelis or have any history with excaelis? And in any case, isn't 2 1/2 years a long time to be thinking about a person? I mean, we've all done it, but this seems out of the blue for several reasons.


Your analysis is all wrong.
almo 1
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 1:53:21 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/16/2016
Posts: 1,026
Neurons: 4,633
Location: Fussa, Tokyo, Japan
Romany
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 7:09:18 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,355
Neurons: 40,706
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Hey, seems I have a new nick-name AND a sex change...and it didn't cost me anything!Dancing I'm now Johnnie-one-note but, hey, I'll take Johnny as a nick-name: it's kinda cutely retro-American. Has a certain cachet to it, don't you think?

What's great about the new nomenclature is that Parsar has finally realised that, yep, I really AM going to continue to insist that when untruths are provided as facts, the actual facts are provided. Thank goodness: it's taken a while.

It's been a nice couple of weeks in which it seemed that Parsar had learned that, when he doesn't tell lies people leave him and his utterances alone. We almost got back to normal for a short period and actually had time to build relationships.

Then, suddenly, in a thread and a post about something completely different he simply couldn't resist taking a dig.

Wonder where he got that idea from?Liar

Johnnie One-Note. (Truth rules!)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 7:40:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 40,028
Neurons: 307,814
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
I think it's quite alarming Parser has now started serious namecalling.


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 9:20:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,453
Neurons: 53,498
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I think it's quite alarming Parser has now started serious namecalling.


It's just another sign of the mental decline that has come with advancing age:

The unctuous false sweetness of the past has been disappearing for some time, the 'certain individuals' or 'persons' he loathes have become more overtly recognisable with such senile games as identifying them by their date of joining the forum;
the increasing number of his mythical friends who supposedly PM him on other forums to tell him about what his 'enemies' and other "liberals" have written here to give him an excuse for another rant;
his complete inability these days to see what an arse he is making of himself;
his obsession with attacks on his enemies in threads where they have not even posted;
his delusion that his enemies are obsessed with him;
the ever-increasing unpleasantness of his name calling -

all these are ominous signs, I fear, that the decline will continue, and may accelerate.

I say 'I fear' for two main reasons: because, if I am right, this forum will become an even more unpleasant place than it has become; and because, distasteful though TheParser's rants and personal attacks are, I am sad to see such decline in any human being.
.


Romany
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 10:45:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,355
Neurons: 40,706
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Tuna - it's kind of you to put Parsar's subversiveness down to advancing age. It never occurred to me, because in to-day's world 80 is not an unusual age at which people still lecture, write, travel, innovate. One of my colleagues is 94 (took a small bit of time off earlier in the year when he had a stroke, but came back after 6 weeks).

But, apart from his delusion of being the Savoir of the Downtrodden, I don't see any increase in Parsar's childishness at all. I guess that's because all those sickening, unforgivable things he's said about women and black people and non-Americans - and me - aren't recent...he came in swinging with those from the start.

The only thing that saddened me recently was that his cowardly little attempts to "put me in my place" involves hints and innuendos that I'm incompetent by way of insanity. I never bothered to respond to this, because from where I sit, with the knowledge of what I've done in my life and what I'm still involved in doing, this so risible that even my sons just fell about laughing when I told them.

But when his uneducated and wildly ignorant little spit-balls were picked up on and used by another poster - a propos of absolutely nothing - I DID protest. We may no longer have an active Admin. on TFD; but there are laws which protect people from public defamation and libel. In a career that began at 16 of writing for public consumption, I've never had the need to refer to the legal counsel to which membership of the Press entitles one.

I've had to defend myself (and my sons) from soldiers, from knife attacks, from rape, from AK47s, from bombs and all that living and writing in a war zone entails. I'm quite prepared to whip off my gloves and legally defend myself from libel and defamation if the need arises.
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 2:33:00 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,453
Neurons: 53,498
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Romany wrote:
I don't see any increase in Parsar's childishness at all. I guess that's because all those sickening, unforgivable things he's said about women and black people and non-Americans - and me - aren't recent...


I see it this way.

The racist, sexist, xenophobic posts he submitted three or four years ago were extremely unpleasant. However (and this in no way justifies them), they showed a mindset of prejudice that is still all too common these days, He did attempt (unsuccessfully) to mask his prejudice beneath a veneer of 'polite' language by using oblique language, and he tried to present his smears as FACTS.

My memory tells me that it was only when a number of us would not let him go unchallenged with this, and constantly pointed out the prejudice displayed, challenging him to produce evidence for his claims, and sometimes pointing out barefaced lies, that he began to attack people personally. Even then, at the beginning, his attacks were of a fairly general and rather silly nature. I became his 'arch-enemy' and you the leader of a group of people plotting against him. Gradually he became, in his eyes, the voice of the silent majority, the spokesman for the many members of the forum he claimed were too terrified to speak out against us bullies and people who harassed him. According to James, we were always running to the moderators attempting to get him banned.

Then, to evade the need to provide evidence for his misleading and dishonest claims, he came up with his list of members whose posts he refused to read - in a politics discussion forum!

The appearance of Trump on the poli appeared to coincide with a new Parserian stage. He became in his own mind, the ultimate moderate middle-of the roader, stalwart defender of the saintly Don and scourge of the "liberals".

It was only then, (I think) that he really switched his main target from me to females, particularly you, though you had been well up there with me before. I think his concentration on females and disgusting comments stems from four things:

1. In the past his declared respect for the fairer sex acted as a slight inhibitor on the depths he could plumb. He could not be too foul about women without risking the 'courteous' reputation he felt he had. As old age clicks in, what little judgement he had is fading.

2. He has always, as he has shown time and again, had a contempt for women who don't 'know their place' His fading faculties are causing this to become more blatant.

3. His current mental state has enabled him to seize on the condition you have so openly and bravely discussed and try to use it as a weapon to discredit you. He is too far gone these days to realise that with every foul claim and libellous slur, he is revealing his nature and mental condition to even the the tiny handful of friends he may still have.

4. (and this is only a guess). I think having a president who makes no secret of his racist, sexist, xenophobic views has emboldened the pathetic Parser, who seems to crave aduation almost as much as the leader he fawns on.


I have noticed, too, an increase in his narcissistic tendencies with a string of threads such as .

My EXPRESSION of the day, My quotation of the day, My TIDBIT of the day, My ANECDOTE of the day, My ANECDOTE of the day. His attempt to show what a caring, thoughtful person he is, always willing to provide information for fair-minded members of the forum, hopefully in a thread in which his 'enemies' won't have an excuse to expose his frailties has been let down by the fact that he is incapable now of resisting the temptation to attack his enemies.


Lord knows how many established and potential members have been lost because of the tedious cesspit this forum becomes at times. I am very aware, when I write a post pointing out the dishonesty of his drivel that every post of this nature I and his other 'enemies' write must seem extremely tedious to people who just want to discuss political matters. Unfortunately,his dishonesty needs to be exposed for what it is lest naive new members feel that lack of response night mean that his claims are true.

As you well know, several of us have pointed out to James that if he sticks to the truth, provides evidence for any claims he makes, and accepts that disagreement with opinions is the bread and butter of political forums, none of us will ever say anything about him personally. There neve was much hope of that happening. I see none now.

Romany
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 3:50:33 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,355
Neurons: 40,706
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Tuna -

I'm sure it would surprise you to hear that your post almost made me cry? I had been sure that no-one else worried as much about the harm he was causing. I considered their ire was predominantly reserved for his politics and misogyny etc.-and not for the effect he was having.

I also thought that the general consensus was probably that I was being histrionic. And, because I kept banging on about the same things over and over, and spelling "truth" with a capital "T", and "justice" with a Capital "J"; that what I was saying was sounding terminally priggish.

Because he gives Hope and Lotje a really vicious time too, I didn't actually think that anyone had realised that the way he feels about me seems a lot more personal than it is with the others.

I haven't known if anyone realised too, that there were particular Learners who were taking their cues from him. Some learners are from countries where the position of women is different to ours. What absolutely sickens me is that the strictures Parsar puts forward on women: - that they are to be subservient, quiescent, silent, conciliatory, rather silly, yada, yada, yada...fits in with an existing narrative for some of the men from other cultures on this forum.

He punishes Hope, Lotje and I for speaking our minds; for standing up for ourselves; for swearing; for disputing instead of fading into the shadows of "our place". And each time he does so he is, in the eyes of some of the men with whom we interact here, presenting us as sluts, dishonourable...punishable.

I have noticed the difference in the past few months - I've been spoken to rudely; my opinion discounted; condescended to in a way that's never happened before here; had rude (not vicous, just rude) PMs. Not just from newbies but some from posters who have been here for quite a while.

So this post is not about any solutions, nothing more than the relief of of a shared perspective. You have no idea what it was like to keep writing posts feeling - for whatever reason - all of the above.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 4:27:34 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 40,028
Neurons: 307,814
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Romany,
reading the TFD idioms definition for Johnny-One-Note, I think Parser hit his own leg this time (and not the first time).
The definition also fits quite well for some of his "friends".

Johnny One-Note

Someone who repeatedly expresses or maintains a strong opinion on a single or a few particular subjects. Primarily heard in US, Canada. Every time I get together with Janet, she gets into some rant about how much she hates the government. She's become such a Johnny One-Note lately!



In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 4:47:53 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,453
Neurons: 53,498
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Romany,

To a drop-in visitor, some of your posts (and indeed some of mine) might seem a little OTT.

Most regular members, however, probably think it amazing that you have held up in face of the constant barrage of slime, smear, innuendo and downright lies and insults that this gutless misogynist has frothed at you and other female members of the forum.

This man (if 'man' is the appropriate word) who is afraid to enter an elevator if there is a young black man in it because it is a FACT that he is more at risk of attack from a black person than a white person (but he is not racist!), who thinks women should know their place and be demure and ladylike (but he is not sexist!), who has expressed very patronising views about people from other countries and who believes America has the right to be the leader and policeman of the world (but he is not xenophobic/chauvinistic), who regularly writes unpleasant and demeaning things about female members of the forum (but he is the model of courtesy and politeness!), this 'man' would never in a million years have the balls to face you in person and say such things.
Romany
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 6:25:16 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,355
Neurons: 40,706
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Thanks, guys, you'll never know how important your posts were to me.

Reading back over your post Tuna; I have remarked before how Parsar seems suspiciously like a Trump mini-me?Eh?

Well that's not just because his posts, like Trumps, consist of regurgitated fox-talk. He also, as you say, needs constant praise and affirmation; has the attention span of a gnat and leaps into inexplicable non-sequitors at the drop of a cliche.He doesn't answer questions, he displays behaviours which mirror those of Trump. He has a distressing lack of general knowledge, (He himself attests to schooling as not very good) his vocabulary is limited (This is obvious through his posts), he writes in very unsophisticated style.

So in the absence of any proof to the contrary I would be justified in also proposing an alternate thesis:he is actually one of those Russian fake-profiles? Programmed on Trumph himself - only prudish and mealy-mouthed to put people off the scent.Whistle

It's the internet. The numbers of fake profiles on FB, Twitter - all social media - are known to be high: it would be neither unreasonable, nor far-fetched, that a platform this large may have attracted one? And to question the legitimacy of the identity behind the Avatar is a common concern on other platforms. Not a personal attack on the identity who may, or may not exist.Dancing
tunaafi
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 7:20:19 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,453
Neurons: 53,498
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Romany wrote:
So in the absence of any proof to the contrary I would be justified in also proposing an alternate thesis:he is actually one of those Russian fake-profiles? Programmed on Trumph himself - only prudish and mealy-mouthed to put people off the scent.Whistle


An interesting idea, as was your half-serious suggestion once that he might be a group of trollish students deliberately creating this character to wind people up.

However, TheParser has been around for some eight years that I know of (possibly more) in language forums, so he began his forum life before Trump would have ever been thought of as a serious political contender. (Hell, who would have thought of Trump as a serious contender only two years ago?)

His life in other forums is not relevant to tfd, so I'll say no more than that his prudish, mealy-mouthed, unctuous nature has always been evident, but the spiteful malevolence, lies and bigotry we see here were generally not so obvious in other forums.

This is perhaps because most language forums have (a) fairly strict 'no politics'/'no personal attacks' policies and (b) fairly effective volunteer moderators to police the forums. tfd is unusual in that, (c) while clearly set up for people interested in language, it also has discussion forums for other areas of interest, including politics, and (d) appears to have no active moderators to restrain abuse, harassment, personal attacks, racist/sexist/xenophobic/homophobic/etc posts. Some of us, when TheParser was being particularly foul a few years ago (and I was not being too restrained Whistle ) requested that some form of moderation come into place to tone down the cesspit atmosphere of the politics forum. The Farlex crew did not deign to acknowledge the existence of the threads on that subject, and I still feel that they bear an enormous responsibility for some of the nasty things they have allowed to appear and remain on this site.

But I digress. I am 99.9% sure that TheParser is genuine, a bigoted, malevolent, senescent, narcissistic white Anglo-Saxon (probably Protestant) Californian male, one who has not only never left his own country, but who probably has never even left his own state -- which does not stop him giving his views on China, North Korea, Russia, etc,. There are millions of similar sad cases. For those of us with more than two brain cells to rub together, they seem to be an artificial creation, but they are what they are. The fact that Trump was elected (albeit by a minority of the electorate) and that his support ratings, though at a record low for any president in recent decades, have never, I believe, fallen below 30% (and that's millions of people!) suggest that there are a lot of Parsers around.


tunaafi
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2017 8:56:51 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/3/2014
Posts: 4,453
Neurons: 53,498
Location: Karlín, Praha, Czech Republic
Given the insular background of TheParser, Romany, I'd be interested to know your experience of the world. I have lived, worked and/or studied in China, Czechia, England, Estonia, Germany, Latvia, Lebanon, Oman, Switzerland and Turkey. How about you?.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:49:42 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,355
Neurons: 40,706
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Oh wow! I see you're familiar with not just European but some Eastern ones as well! Apart from Switzerland, France and England I was pretty much dead ignorant about living in the Northern bits.(But I've now at least *been* to Spain, Bulgaria, Italy, Sicily and the Netherlands since coming here to Britain.

So, apart from the three already mentioned, my work/study/live list is slightly different: Sri Lanka, India, Northern Africa, South Africa, Malaysia, Yemen, Singapore, China, my best-beloved Papua New Guinea, Australia and (though I have no recollection of it) Malta.

But the places I've travelled to and hung around in, and had fun in, range from Tahiti to Puerto Rica and many weird places in between: as I'm sure yours do too!

Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 3:04:02 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/7/2015
Posts: 407
Neurons: 897,510
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
tunaafi wrote:
Romany wrote:
So in the absence of any proof to the contrary I would be justified in also proposing an alternate thesis:he is actually one of those Russian fake-profiles? Programmed on Trumph himself - only prudish and mealy-mouthed to put people off the scent.Whistle


But I digress. I am 99.9% sure that TheParser is genuine, a bigoted, malevolent, senescent, narcissistic white Anglo-Saxon (probably Protestant) Californian male, one who has not only never left his own country, but who probably has never even left his own state -- which does not stop him giving his views on China, North Korea, Russia, etc,. There are millions of similar sad cases. For those of us with more than two brain cells to rub together, they seem to be an artificial creation, but they are what they are. The fact that Trump was elected (albeit by a minority of the electorate) and that his support ratings, though at a record low for any president in recent decades, have never, I believe, fallen below 30% (and that's millions of people!) suggest that there are a lot of Parsers around.



Tunaafi,

Well, Trump is close to 30%.

As for the past history, I can't say I remember how The_Parser was. And I think it's tough to label someone a racist. But I've never seen Parser ask, what do you think? It's always, HERE'S WHAT I THINK. I mean, we all can be self-possessed at times, but we do need to take small steps to open the door for dialogue. A simple "what do you think?" can go a long way. And for posting from a library, The_Parser doesn't seem interested in gaining knowledge from others.

Also re: racism I think there are a lot of people saying, ok, I don't wear a white sheet, so I can't be a racist. But then there are code words like "uppity" in the 50s or maybe "ungrateful" now. I think a lot of us can co-opt a lot of racial terms without knowing it. Maybe they sound good to lash out with. I know when I was a kid, some hurtful terms sounded funny because I didn't know what they meant. I learned and stopped laughing at them.

And there is another problem--we all have unconscious racial biases, even if we do not want/like to admit it. aeon.co/essays/unconscious-racism-is-pervasive-starts-early-and-can-be-deadly

That's not to say it's terribly fair for someone to say "Oh, you're only saying that because you're a racist." But saying "I'd like to understand you" goes a long way.

Unfortunately sometimes what we most need to understand about people is that they will be black holes for our attention and sympathy, and we need to make sure they do not suck up a lot of our time.

And I see that happening here. I'd really like this forum to be a lot better moderated. I've asked admins and received no response. There are a lot of things people get away with here that helps it get out of control and make people throw up their hands and quit. Which is too bad. The cool people here are really cool, and it can and should be a nice place.

As for me? I've been to Europe a couple times. I don't like to travel, but I do like to interact with people around the globe.



I particularly enjoy the idiom section of this fine website.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:48:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 13,355
Neurons: 40,706
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Andrew -

I don't think there would be anyone on the Forum (well, perhaps, there is one exception?) who does not want active moderators. This has become a rather anarchical site without. Unfortunately, when posters join who are ignorant of how civilised discussions are enabled;of contemporary manners and mores; or even of common conversational conventions, it attracts others of the same ilk.

It's kind of like opening a school and not having a Head - and it has exactly the same effect. We've sunk to a kindergarten-like platform which, unsurprisingly, exactly reflects all the child-like ethos of the current White House administration.

As to the "innate racism" trope - I've read so much on this subject; and of the psychological underpinning of the theory; as well as all the refutations of it from anthropologists, biologists, and other people in the field.I agree with the sociological analyses that groups everywhere do react towards those who are other: but which is not predicated on skin colour any more than other indicators which signal "other" : fashions of marking the body (tattoos), hair-styles, speech, etc.

The racism which continues to plague America may well seem innate - but I am convinced by the evidence that this is a result of cultural/societal influences. This, to my mind,is bolstered by the fact that, - apart from fringe-loonies - in European and C/wealth countries where societal imperatives do not support racial bias, neither does racial tension exist. Our "innate" conclusion is that black/white consciousness is regarded as being as much of a past, 19C way of thinking as colonialism and slavery,and men being allowed to beat their wives with a certain circumference of stick,were.

Topical example: Eminem song lyrics have caused as much of a splash here as any discussions of "Stars" do. It's been played, broadcast, read, discussed in all the media outlets and clogs social media platforms.

But it was only this morning that we woke to articles from the USA casting this as a "racial" issue.To the people who have been discussing this issue today, this has been a gut-shock. It was like a whammee out of nowhere and has totally eclipsed the lyrics themselves as people try to get their heads around this peculiar slant.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:21:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 7,279
Neurons: 42,042
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Ro,

As much as many Canadians hate the fact, Racism or "Otherism" has always been and still is alive and well in Canada. Don't think Canada does not have racial tensions. It is just not as rampant or overt. And after being on the internet and also talking to residents, I'm not sure it is all fringe-loonies.

I agree that there are many other indicators as well as color, creed, religion, gender, clothing, and culture which are all targets here. I don't know if it is getting worse or if the secret has just become open. I do know some of it comes recently from copying the US, but the Indigenous have been targets forever (and may be going overboard with demands now to compensate) and there has always been rancor between French and English Canada, which is a culture issue. The two Trumpite divisive politicians who ran as Conservative Party leaders were soundly trounced which is good. But the fact they were visible was new since they saw Trump's success.

Canada is finally looking into treatment of the Indigenous in the "Scoop" schools of the past, and into the murders of many Indigenous women.

But my overboard comment relates to this - The Toronto District School Board has just removed the word "Chief" from all job titles such as Chief Financial Officer etc. to appease the Indigenous. Did the Scottish not have clan chiefs too? Are there not six different defintions of the word "chief" that do not mean an Indigenous chief?

It is political correctness run amok. It can go too far. And it only creates animosity and stirs up the "Otherism" resentment.


Tuna and Ro - what a list! And I thought we moved a lot, but always within Canada or with Canada as a home base.


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight. Phyllis Diller
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines. Copyright © 2008-2017 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.